Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

XP Mode has no access to physical NIC

Status
Not open for further replies.

SLG

MIS
Dec 19, 2001
US
I just installed Windows 7 Pro x64 and need to have XP mode for some legacy applications. The problem I have is XP mode nor my virtual machines are able to use my physical NIC card. i.e. It is not even an option.
Here is what I've done so far: Uninstalled and reinstalled XP mode and Virtual PC. Uninstalled and reinstalled my NIC drivers. Unchecked and rebooted "Virtual PC Network Filter Driver" in my NIC properties, then checked it and rebooted again. I turned off Zone Alarm to make sure that wasn't causing any problems.
I'm at a complete loss at this point. I really need to get this up and working so I can access my legacy apps.
Thanks in advance!

To access the NIC it has to be set as one of the NIC adapters in Windows Virtual PC settings.

To do this, go to c:\users\<username>virtual machines and right click on the file called windows xp mode.vmcx and click on settings.

In the left pane click on Networking and in the right make sure adapter 1 is pointing to your physical NIC, not a virtual one. If it isn't use the dropdown list to change it to the real NIC.

Jock

In the Settings for the Virtual Machines, are the settings under Networking correct where they indicate which Adapter (the Network Card etc, on the Host Machine) that should be used?

One way to locate the Settings is to browse to this location in the Host Machine, C:\Users\usernamexxxx\Virtual Machines, highlight the XP Pro .vmcx file to see the Settings tab in the Explorer Bar (above).

Using VM as a host on Windows 7
thread1726-1632905

Right. That is my problem. The only option(s) I have are:
Not connected
Internal Network
Shared Networking (NAT)

My physical NIC does not show up in the drop down list.

Yup. I tried enabling and disabling the integration features and no luck. My XP mode and VMs still do not 'see' my physical NIC.

When I did my test box I had to actually install the network using the XP mode. Then it shows up.

David.

David,
I'm sorry but I'm not following you?

Just like doing an XP install on a new machine. I had to install the network drivers in order for the network card to work.

David.

OH! Yes, i tried that too. :-( I've been fighting this for a few days now. It seems to be a problem with my Windows 7 host but I can't for the life of me figure out why.
No matter what I I do the only adapters I can add to a VM or XP mode is:

Not connected
Internal Network
Shared Networking (NAT)

BTW, this is on Lenovo T400 Thinkpad if this helps.

Have you looked at the network properties of the NIC in windows 7 and made sure virtual pc network filter driver is present and checked to be active?

Back to ZoneAlarm as a possible cause, sometimes disabling, or turning off, a firewall is not good enough as many of the settings remain in effect. The only thorough way to check ZA as a possible cause would be to uninstall it and then reinstall it after exoneration.

Try posting your question in this specific Virtualization Forum too.

Windows 7 Virtualization

What make and model of Network Adapters are included with your Lenovo?

How to troubleshoot a problem by performing a clean boot in Windows Vista or in Windows 7

If you create a new user in Windows 7 and test with that does it make any difference?

tlcscousin: Yup, tried that a few times.

Thanks for the advice, I will post there but I read through another post ( and tried everything suggested and I had no luck.

In the mean time I uninstalled VPC and installed VPC 2007 which works like a champ. I was hoping to use the integration features of XP Mode but I can live with VPC 2007 for now.

Thanks to all. If I figure it out later I will post my solution.

You can run an XPMode installation in VPC2007. You may need to telephone activate/authenticate it, but if you have a genuine Windows7 Pro license, there is no problem.

I had issues at first getting my xpmode to network either and turned on integration features and left networking at shared NAT and it immediately worked. Mine however is a desktop and only using the hard wired NIC (no wireless).

I'm able to get to the internet using NAT for networking but unfortunately I need to use a VPN to access my companies network. The VPN won't work through NAT.
I'm OK with using VPC2007 for now.

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back