Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

XP machines dropping of my Win2000 network

Status
Not open for further replies.

adavi

Technical User
Dec 16, 2002
BB
I have some XP Pro machines that are dropping off the Win 2000 network. You may be able to logon but some time after when you try to access the network you are asked to logon again...I use Static IP addresses and the machines have the address of the server also. What is wrong.

Is you network a domain runing AD? When you say you are asked to log on again, are you referring to the request for authentication box that appears when accessing network resources?

My network is running DNS and yes its an authentication box that appears when accessing network resources.

Are all the computers part of the domain? What do you mean the computers have the IP address of the server also?

Does this occur on any particular client or when acessing a particular server?

I have one domain with about 40 users, mixed with Win 2000 and Xp machines. All the computer have the Preferred (and alternate) DNS server IP addresses in the TCP/IP properties dialog box.

It only occur with XP machines some more that others.

Has this always been the case or did it just start? Try rejoining the domain again on one computer and see if the problem persists.

Doing IT Right!

This problem started when we added the new Dell XP machines. You may be working on a file you opened from the network and 5 mins later with out warning you have drop off the network. When u browse to the network u r asked to authenticate..

Well, you might want to start by checking your NIC settings. Ensure it's set to Auto Detect as opposed to Hardware Default.

All XP machine, both IBM and DElls

What server does the static DNS address point to is it your ISP's DNS?

Are you running an internal DNS server?

adavi said:
This problem started when we added the new Dell XP machines.
Is browsing turned off on the xp machines? When you lose connection, have you run ipconfig /all on the machine that lost the connection and see if anything strange is happening?

Glen A. Johnson
If you're from Northern Illinois/Southern Wisconsin feel free to join the Tek-Tips in Chicago, Illinois Forum.
TTinChicago
Johnson Computers

Have you found a solution to this problem, I am having the same problem in my network, I am having to disjoin from the domain and then readd them.
I have had to do 12 in the past couple days.

are running home or pro on the XP machines? that will definitely factor in.

I have an internal DNS server and I'm running XP Pro machines. I'm checking the NIC settings to see if there is a conflict there.

Check this article out. I had the same problem and setting autodisconnect to wait for 8,171 years fixed it.

If you configure the Autodisconnect option to -1 at the command prompt, Autodisconnect is set to the upper value in the registry. This is approximately 8,171 years (not tested), which should be long enough to be the equivalent of turning Autodisconnect off.
The registry does not allow you to add a -1 value. However, that modification may be made at the command prompt with the following command:
net config server /autodisconnect:-1

Same prob here too, but are you guys saying this is happening at the server...or the workstations? If i'm reading rite, these edits are done on server?

Andand, quick fix is to go to workstation, network setting, lan card, right click and repair. I have them do this and all drives pop rite back in. It's just annoying, cuz they shouldn't be dropping off!

tks
prew

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back