Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

XP losing my hard drive

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 8, 2003
US
Running XP, I installed a second 40 gig hard drive onto my PC as my 12 gig original drive was almost full
this was about a year ago, all was fine, however a few weeks ago when I booted my PC up, sometimes it would not see my second HD.
I have to go to add hardware, where i See my second drive and click already installed, and it says this is working fine etc.
then once I have done that I can go to computer management
and strorage where my second drive shows up.

So my queston is
why has XP started to not see my second hard drive all of a sudden ? and this dont happen everytime I boot up
maybe 2-3 times a week out of 7

IT may not be anything to do with XP. I havd a similar problem which turned out to be that the drive was taking a long time to spin up to speed. It wasn't ready when the OS did its hardware check and assumed it had gone. Have a look in BIOS and set set the hard disk up manually instead of AUTO if it is set that way.

Look to Event Viewer logs for clues.
Troubleshooting a similar problem, I was pleasantly surprised to see a message there that the driver had detected a problem with the IDE controller device!
Motherboard was RMA'ed back to MSI...problem solved.

I got this problem when I installed a much used and handled HDD which also disappeared or failed to start on occasion. Turned out to be a damaged power connector on the HDD itself, which seemed a bit loose from the drive itself, fixed with a little duct tape (ala tooltime tips)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back