Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

XP loses connection to shared printer 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

dblack63

IS-IT--Management
Sep 3, 2002
US
I am at a school district that just installed several XP Pro workstations in classrooms. The laser printers in the rooms are installed locally to a Win98 box and shared. WE are on a 100MB LAN. WinXP will connect with the shared printer, but, after a few minutes, it loses the connection. All I could find on TechNet was to make sure the local guest account was active which I did. But, the problems continues. XP will also lose the connection if printing several items in a row.

Does anyone have any idea what could be causing this? Please help.

There is a setting in XP Home & Pro that will auto disconnect network connections after 15 minutes, the default setting. You can up the time out limit if you feel comfortable Editing your registry. The Key to edit is at hkey_Local_machine\system\currentControlSet\Services\lanmanserver\parameters. Change the autodisconnect value, in decimal, from 15 to a higher number of minutes. Then restart your system to have the changes go into effect.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back