Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

XP logon settings 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

dle46163

IS-IT--Management
Jul 9, 2004
US
I'm running XP Pro...originally the only user account on my system was Administrator with no password. This was great because I wanted XP to simply boot to the desktop with no login. I needed to add a scheduled task but the scheduler wouldn't accept my administrator user with a blank password. Sooooo, I added a user called Admin and gave that user administrator rights. The scheduler was happy... But now when I reboot I get prompted for a login. Since I don't want a login I want to remove the admin user. When I log in as Administrator, I don't get the option to remove the admin account I created. It tells me I have to create yet another user with administrator rights before I can delete the admin account. (doesn't the original Administrator account meet that criteria?) All I want now is to go back to having Administrator be the only user on the system. And it would be really nice if I could get the task scheduler to use that user with NO password. Anyone have ideas? Can I turn off these stupid profiles?

You cannot set a scheduled task with an administrator account without a password.

However you can setup windows to log straight into a specific account.

Take a look at this page on my site
Greg Palmer
Freeware Utilities for Windows Administrators.

Edit your registry and setup two users with passwords. One for auto log on and leave the administrator alone!

1. To open the Windows Registry Editor, select Start/Run, type REGEDIT, and click OK.
2. Path out HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\Current
Version\Winlogon.
3. Verify the AutoAdminLogon key exists in the folder. If it does, double-click it and change the
Value Data to '1'. If it does not exist, select Edit/New/String Value and name the key
'AutoAdminLogon'. Then double-click the entry and change the Value Data text box to '1'.
4. Verify if the DefaultUserName key exists in the folder. If it does, double-click it and change
the Value Data to 'n' where n is the user name (case sensitive) that is used to log in to Windows. If it
does not exist, select Edit/New/String Value and name it 'DefaultUserName'. Double-click the entry
and change the Value Data to the user name (case sensitive) that is used to log in to Windows.
5. Verify if the DefaultPassword key exists in the folder. If it does, double-click it and change the
Value Data to 'n' where n is the password (case sensitive) that is used to log in to Windows. If it
does not exist, select Edit/New/String Value and name the key 'DefaultPassword'. Double-click the
entry and change the Value Data to the password (case sensitive) that is used to log in to Windows.
6. If you are using Windows XP or Windows 2000, verify the ForceAutoLogon key exists in the
folder. If it does, double-click it and change the Value Data to '1'. If it does not exist, select
Edit/New/String Value and name the key 'ForceAutoLogon'. Then double-click the entry and
change the Value Data text box to '1'.
7. Select Registry/Exit to exit the Windows Registry Editor.

Bo

Kentucky phone support-
"Mash the Kentrol key and hit scape."

Or you could use Tweakui and set it to autologin. That way you can easily re-set it to prompt when you boot.

Got it fixed! Thanks for all the input!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back