Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

XP LOGON SCRIPTS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andy03

Technical User
Jul 11, 2003
VE
Hi there, I have a windows NT server and some clients with differents OS, so i want to execute a simple logon script from the server, the main problem comes when a Windows XP or Windows 2000 Station logs into the Domain, when this happens, the logon script does not work...but it works in other windows versions such as Win98,WinNt and WinMe...any help would be useful...i hope someone could help me out...thanks

It is likely a permissions issue with cmd.exe

Copy the file from c:\%windir%\system32 to a directory that is fully permissioned for the users.

Check group policy to make certain you did not deny Everyone as a Group the ability to use cmd.exe

Hi again...I've already tried your suggestion but it didn't work...i can not even see the script black window in the xp and win2k workstations (it just doesn't seem to exist) once they log into the domain...i read somewhere something about add a delay in the script code, but i don't know where or how to do it...as i said the logon script works perfect in other windows versions, but in xp and win2k, there's not any error message...Bye i really hope to have an answer as soon as posible pls...thanks ;)

FWIW I have the same problem. There must be a solution else everyone using XP on the desktop wouldn't get their mapped drives.

Does anybody know something about windows xp and2k problems logon scripts?...i really need help...i've tried to look for a solution but it seems to be something in the winxp and win2k editions, something with security???????

Hi,

If you go to the XP machines and follow these steps, you will be able to assign logon script to the policy on the machine. It may also work for W2k, but not sure. Also, you will need to use a local policy I think.
Otherwise, if you have AD installed on the network, you can go into Group Policies and select a logon script there for ALL clients.

To assign a logon script to a profile
1. Open Computer Management.
2. In the console tree, click Users.
> System Tools
> Local Users and Groups
> Users
3. Right-click the user account you want, and then click Properties.
4. On the Profile tab, in Logon script, type the file name and location of the script.
For a network path, use the following form:

\\ServerName\ProfilesFolderName\UserProfileName

hth,

Will

Also,

If I remember rightly, in Computer Management on NT, you must add a W2K or XP workstation to the list of computer (a computer account in the domain)... you might find logon scripts in the properties of that, or for the User Profile in User Manager for Domains on NT.

hth,

Will

Hi will!!! i already tried to use your suggestion, but it doesn't seems to work, i can't see the script in the xp and 2k machines, as i said before, it just doesn't seem to exist...i dunno what else try to fix it and i really need to run the script in all the machines of the domain...there must be something else....if you could help me i'd really appreciate it...thanks i'll be waiting for an answer :)

Have a look at these:

(of course this one I've already described! But good to keep on hand)

(W2K, but could be relevant to XP too)

(this one just made me laugh! Not really relevant!) ;)

That last one seems to be quite prevalent for bith XP and W2K, so some variation of the theme might be the way for you. Of course I can't be much more help because I haven't been in an NT 4 domain for about 4 years now, and then I was only just learning about logon scripts and such, so sorry about that. If you have any plans to upgrade your network to W2K or W2K3 then you might find your problem goes away, but that is by no means a solution unless your company has been considering this... with W2K3, remember that the server they are using is now 3 versions out of date!! Perhaps you should argue about getting with the times to the powers that be? ;)

Anyway, if the above can't help, I'm afraid I can't offer any more... so I apologise in advance!

ALl the best, and hth,

Will

ok i have a suggestion i don't know if yo got the help you needed but here goes.

are you using a verified logon name to logon to the domain. ensure winxp and 2k are both logging into the domain. (go to the domain controller and type net sessions and/or net view /network:networkname)if not then maybe that's the problem. the other thing is to look at the permissions for the netlogon folder on the domain server. if they aren't set right it won't work. i normally suggest setting them to domain users or everyone. next check the computer assignments in the policy editor. if these aren't setup right(ie no name for the other computer or the default is messed up) then it won't work either.
Hopefully these work for you.

Hi Andy,

Maybe you have sorted this by now - but I have had similar problems with XP and NT domains.

I have narrowed my problem down to XP caching the profiles onto the pcs and therefore not running the scripts unless it has seen the network first.

I hve disabled this in the registry so that it will not log on until it sees the network - once this is done it runs my login script everytime.

The actual key in the registry can be found in the following:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon

There you will find a key called 'cachedlogonscount' - standard is set to 10. Change this to 0 and see if it works.

You can always change it back.

Hopefully it'll work for you.

Cheers

KSL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back