Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

XP Login "locks" at desktop

Status
Not open for further replies.

brettums

IS-IT--Management
Dec 27, 2000
US
On a w2k3 domain w/ all users on XP PRO Client. Recently users that loginto the network w/ their AD account they will login but the system will lock to just the desktop (w/ no icons) If you do a three finger rule (CTRL + ALT + DEL) and log off, then log back on, the user can login w/ out any problems. It seems to me a script or something is stopping the system from fully login. (That's my guess) Yes, I use login scripts (one for my NAC boy for tracking of users purposes, and second a script to map drives. In the script for mapping drives, all servers are present, no changes for old servers removed etc......

Is there a diagnostic program that you can use and watch the login process anywhere..... The event view gives no info on this what so ever.....
Brett

Had a somewhat similar problem, we troubleshooted it to be that during the first login for the day on that computer, the real time scan of Symantec Corporate (rtvscan.exe) is extremely hardware demanding, which could freeze the client computer. But maybe you're not even using Symantec.

Good luck!

I am using symantec corp edition 10.1.7.7000

What did you do to fix this?
I'll put $$$ on that is the problem.
Brett

Run Msconfig and remove the symantec client from running. That will answer your question if it is the issue.

Why on earth would I want to STOP this? Hello, this is my anti virus suite.

I am not saying remove it indefinitly, this was to add to what Trana was saying. This will confirm that there is an issue with your suite. Symantec is a very demanding antivirus on many machines. If it runs that bad on your machine. Look at other antivirus solutions.

Actually we haven't been able to fix it after numerous contacts with Symantec and some miscellaneous troubleshooting. I'm leaving this company tomorrow so to be honest I don't really care anymore.

One thing we did do as per Symantecs instructions was to disable the Network Scaning option, I didn't notice much difference though.

But the others have talked about changing to Trends antivirus products instead. I also recently read that Symantec is discontinuing the Corporate Edition for their new Endpoint Security which is supposedly less demanding on hardware resources, might be worth looking into for you.

Symantec is a very demanding application. We currently use webroot for both nav and spyware. It is a lot less taxing on the machines and picks up a lot more then Symantec's scan. We were a complete Symantec shop and we got hit with a virus that they were not helpful with. You are right that Symantec is changing their applications. I think it is to little to late.
Back to the issue, it was only a suggestion to help you out. Wasnt sure if you had that thought in your head. Good luck in your new role!

You can also see if it's rtvscan but just going to task manager and seeing what the cpu usage is. I think you have to be local admin but sometimes it will let you end task it if it is taxing the cpu.

On another note, do you have altiris?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back