Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

XP Login Failures

Status
Not open for further replies.

dcsundevil2002

IS-IT--Management
Oct 21, 2004
US
I have a client that cannot logon to her new XP machine using her own login name. The administrator account can be used, but her account cannot. The machine has full connectivity to the DC and the PC is in the computers folder of AD. Here is the error log from the security log -

Event Type: Failure Audit
Event Source: Security
Event Category: Account Logon
Event ID: 675
Date: 11/10/2004
Time: 2:27:06 PM
User: NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM
Computer: DC1
Description:
Pre-authentication failed:
User Name: Heather
User ID: GROSVENOR\Heather
Service Name: krbtgt/GROSVENOR
Pre-Authentication Type:0x2
Failure Code: 0x18
Client Address: 192.168.1.103

Does anyone have any ideas or experiance dealing with this?

- can anyone other than the administrator account logon successfully? (if not, then I would consider more analysis at the workstation level)
- can she login at another similarly configured XP computer? (if not, then her account is malfunctioning...)

Other user accounts work on that machine, just not her account. I found a ref saying that the event id was something to do with the time sync with the server, however, they are both the same time.

She cannot login to a 2000 machine in the office, the new one is the only XP box in the office. I am now thinking or just creating a new account for her.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back