Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

XP lockup due to ATI Radeon 8500dv video card

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobgman

Technical User
Aug 10, 2002
US
Computer is home grown Pentium 4, 1.8 using a Gigabyte GA-81DX board. We tried a different video board and all was well. But with the ATI all in wonder - it keeps us up nights wondering why we bought it. It locks up and changes text to an unreadable mess. We have installed the new drivers the best we know how (all the notes ATI sticks in odd places on topics such as the order of load and when to restart or not makes us only guess we did it right). The Sept 12 drivers helped some. Then with adjusting video performance (so many controls) we got it to work "slowly" for most things except when on the internet. When it goes down it blames ATI video card. I am not a computer expert, especially with Xp, please go easy on the terms. Thanks for any ideas. Bob

Seems to me your issue is drivers...and I feel like a broken record as I again advocate using dxdiag at Start/Run and doing DirectX diagnostics...
You don't say what video card you use...if youd be more specific, if would help...there are differences.

Gargouille pointed out I didn't note the video card in my text. The video card is an ATI All in Wonder Radeon 8500DV. I will do the dx/diag and let all know the results. I did install the latest ATI drivers (date 12 Sept). I was thinking it had to do with some video setting since lowering performance options seemed to reduce lock ups. Now I reconnect the offending computer and try dx/diag.
Thanks

I tried dx/diag and everything passed. On reboot after lock-up Xp gives me the option to send data to Microsoft on the problem. How does this work, should I do it. Does microsoft help me by feeding me back good info or is this some data gathering process.

Thanks

I gave up. ATI stoled days from my life. I put an ASUS MX420 in and it works. Anybody wants an ATI AIW Radeon 8500DV. I still would like TV in my Xp machine but does anyone know one that works. Right now I have sworn off ATI products. Any info on WinTV?

I might be interested in your card.

Anyway have you tried out the following site. I have had plenty of ATI radeon cards in the past. The following site has been helpful in problem solving

Have a look into the ATI forum for Radeon 8500 Technical Support. It has a lot of helpful tips from users who have had problems and you may find a fix there.

Have you contacted ATI yet ?? you may have a faulty board.

I have a RAdeon 64DDR VIVO, which when brought a month ago arrrived faulty, i had problems that the card would not reboot on second attempt and you would have to wait a few hours for it to work again, i contacted ATI and they have replaced and is working fine now.

Let me know how you get on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back