Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

XP Locks up on clean install

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pylie

IS-IT--Management
Oct 16, 2006
GB
Everytime I reinstall XP on 1 PC it locks up - maybe after 5 minuets maybe 20 minutes. This could be on startup or halfway thru Word for example.

Its a Toshiba Portege 4000 with 512mb.

XP SP1a

I know the CDs are ok cos I have used them on another PC to eliminate the software.

How can I find out whats causing this ?

Everytime I have to poweroff as a C-A-D doesnt work.

Thanks

P

Either a damaged motherboard/CPU, or an overheating component probably. This used to happen to my PC all the time when playing games and then it used to do it in any situataion. I had to get a new CPU in the end.

I got money on the video card overheating.

Turn on the laptop and put your hand in the back where the fans SHOULD be blowing air out. They're not spinning anymore, right?
Stupid laptops.

Cant feel any air coming out and all is pretty quiet !

Easy fix ???

Toshiba's are known for overheating issues as well as fans failing. The first time i took a toshiba apart was a nightmare! There are a million and one pieces to get to the CPU Cooler it is the last thing you take out and they love to get cloged solid with dust! I would recomend taking it to a hop unless you are comfortable taking one apart. But almost guarntee the CPU is over heating because of dust in the CPU heatsink. Hope this helps and i wish you luck!

Justin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back