Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

XP KEEPS RESTARTING!!!! HELP PLS!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wisegi

Technical User
Aug 26, 2003
CA
HI....

I was wondering if anyone could help me.... When I got home today I woke my cpu out of sleep mode and I signed into AOL, but then all of a sudden my cpu rebooted and now I can get XP to boot up... It just keeps rebooting, I tried to boot into safe mode but no luck....

Any ideas how I can resolve this?

Thx

Rey

The Computer Continuously Restarts
Windows XP Restarts When You Try to Shut Down Your Computer

==================================

Auto Reboot On System Crash

=============================

XP Logon Screen Does not Appear and the Computer Continuously Restarts

Hello Again,

Thanks for the reply but it did not work. Any other suggestions?

Thanks

Have you turned the comp off ?

Either by turning the power off or by holding the on / off button in until it goes off .

Reboot & see what happens .

==============================================

No go , try going back to a good restore point .

==============================================

How to Start the System Restore Tool from the Command Prompt

System Restore is a great feature in XP, but if you aren't able to boot into the Windows GUI normally or in Safe Mode, how can you use it? Here are the instructions for starting System Restore from the command prompt:

Start your computer by selecting Safe Mode with Command Prompt from the startup menu.
When the command prompt is displayed, type the following: [systemroot]\system32\restore\rstrui.e x e (the system root folder is the folder to which you installed the XP operating system files, usually c:\windows).
Press Enter.
Now you can follow the instructions on the screen to use System Restore to restore your computer to a previous functional state.
If you have problems with System Restore, see KB article 302796, Troubleshooting System Restore in Windows XP:

I my experience with your symptoms:

. Insert your XP CD, restart the computer and boot from the CD
. Choose the first R(epair) option to enter Recovery Console
. In Recovery Console type:

chkdsk /r (will take a while, leave it alone)
exit

Remove the XP CD and try and start normally. If you continue to have errors, report back here.

Bill

Thx again for the info ...

Yes I have unplugged and turned off the computer, I have been forced to go to my friends house so that I can look for help online....

I cannot get into safe mode... When I do try to get in... I am able to get to a screen which says safe mode in all 4 corners but I lose all icons and there is no start menu which doesn't allow me to get to the control panel....

When I try to boot normally... The windows XP screen comes up (which looks like it's loading) but then after that it flashes and continues to load when finally I get a blue background no icon and no start menu either....

Thx again..!

Did you try what jmatt suggested? Safe Mode with Command Prompt, not just booting into Safe Mode, run sys restore from the command prompt.

HI again...

I did try to get into the safe mode with command prompt but no luck as well... I'm checking that other link now... Do you think I'll have to do a complete new install????????

Thx AGain....

I had a similar problem, a year or so ago. I tried everything to rectify the problem, and in the end, as my machine was "newish" I returned it to the manufacturers, they said it was a VIRUS causing the problem. They reformated the harddisk, and reinstalled XP. All has worked fine since!

This may be your only answer....but I hope it isn't, as you will lose everything, that's if you did not make a backup!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back