Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

XP keeps rebooting automatically

Status
Not open for further replies.

newrican

Technical User
May 31, 2003
KR
Hello all: This computer is in a teacher's staff room so there are 12 teachers using it at any time. It was working properly and stably until today when I tried to access a certain option in a program that is installed. I went to the edit menu picked the option and instantly without giving me any warning, the computer just rebooted itself. This happened again twice on the same thing. I uninstalled the program and installed it again thinking that might solve the problem and re-installed the program again. Mabey a little after halfway through the installation process, the computer decided to reboot again by itself with no warning what so ever. Any solutions?

Sounds like XP is doing a "dump". XP is tricky. We had this same problem.

Make sure you do the "windows update" and install everything the "windows update" find. This should solve your problem. If it dont, then you may need to look at hardware.

I had the same problem, random reboots of xp machines on a windows 2000 domain, no warning it is just like someone hit the power button. I discovered on Windows XP without SP1 were affected. Windows XP SP1 resolved the problem.

Ok, I guess I will download the SP1 then. I thought that since this is a new computer it would come with it. Guess not. I'll post later and see tell if it worked. Thanks![yinyang][afro]

Try and keep your posts together.

If System Restore gets you going as per -

Can't delete program!!!!
thread779-567856

There is something wrong with the program you are trying to run (what is it called?) which may be corrected by checking for an updated version.

To get further information about the error look in your Event viewer.

Look in the System or Application folder. You can get to the Event Viewer via right click My Computer icon and select Manage.

Any errors logged in the Event Viewer can be expanded by double clicking on the error line.

Take any error I.D. number and search for it on this site.

Also check any "Information" line that mentions "savedump" and you should find reference to "recovered from a bug check". This is the Stop Error that caused your problem.

If your problem persists post back with this Stop Error.

You can also turn off "automatically restart after an error" so it will just halt at the fault and display the full Stop Error and blue screen.

Right-click My Computer, and then click Properties .
On the Advanced tab, click Settings under Startup and Recovery .
Click to clear the Automatically restart check box under System failure , and then click OK . The error message on a blue screen should remain on the screen so you can record the error information.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back