Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

XP keeps changing directories to read only 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

gollyg

Technical User
Oct 24, 2000
AU
Hi,

I have XP Pro setup and I am having problems with some file attributes. Every so often windows will change the attributes of all my directories to read-only. To try to fix this I log in as administrator and change the directory and all subdirectories and files to not read-only, and I see a dialogue box as windows moves through each folder and file, apparantly changing the attributes. When I close and reopen the properties dialogue box it reverts to read-only!

I have disabled simple file sharing and am using permissions based on users and groups - these don't seem to change.

I have also scanned for any viruses using the latest norton definitions, but that shows up clear.

If anyone has any ideas I would love to know what is going on.

Cheers

James

Is it read-only, or just greyed-out? If it was read-only the box would have a clear background and a clear tick mark. If greyed-out, it is not read-only.

No, it is actually ticked and I can access and change the attribute. It even appears to update when I choose apply or ok, but when I return to the dialoge, it shows as read only again.

ps i am running backup software for a tape drive that uses the archive bit on the files - dont know if that is relevant or not.

Thanks for you reply

James

Am assuming that you are set up as an administrator. Are you the owner of the files? Do you have the necessary permissions? If not, the machine will still go through the process (because you are an administrator), but as soon as its finished will revert to read only, if you are not both of these. Check the authorities under Sharing and Security for the drive. Are the shares "Administrative"? Check out KB 288164 at the Microsoft Knowledge Base.

BTW, just for your info.. The Knowledge Base given to you by TunaBoy won't cut it !!

Murray

Thanks Murray,

That has allowed me to change the file level attributes and save/modify there contents. Funny though, even after using attrib through the command line the properties for the folders still show as read only, but the functionality has returned to read/write.

Thanks for you tip - star for you!

James

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back