Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

XP is Slow accessing Windows 2000 Shares

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jwatco

MIS
Oct 16, 2002
US
We have a windows 2000 professional machine that just is storing data that some of our applications use. For some reason when any of the applications on the XP machines try to access the data on the professional shares the application slows to a crawl. Everything is fine on our windows 98 machine. Has anyone run into any issues with network performance when accessing 2000 shares from an xp machine?

Interesting, recently my Windows 2000 Server has had problem with file sharing. On my 2000 Pro systems the share works fine, however on my XP systems are 5-10 times slower. Also occasionally if the XP workstation is saving word or excel 2000 files the files become corrupt, and i receive and error message "there is a network communication problem."

I have the same problem, but mine is worst : as soon as I connect network drives on my XPpro PC, all navigation in explorer slows even when I want to view local dirs. I think it's due to constant poling of XP to refresh network drives. I have an idea that couldn't help me due to my network config but that could help you : by default, XP sets the "speed" property of the networks connections to "Automatic detection". Forcing it to the good value for your network will speed your connections. Water is not bad as long as it stays out human body ;-)

Hi Targol, do you know where this setting is? I can't find it.

It's in the "advanced" tab of your network adapter properties. Water is not bad as long as it stays out human body ;-)

The same problem occurs on our windows 2000 server.
When i make the xpprof machine a member of a workgroup and then join the domain again the problem is solved for about 24 hours.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back