Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

XP is Autodialing to the Internet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
I just installed a full version of XP PRO yesterday and hooked it to my peer to peer network in which I use Internet Connection Sharing. I noticed that the XP machine was auto dialing and I am curious if anyone has had a simialiar experience. I did go through the "ACTIVATION" process, but during setup I opted not to "REGISTER" since at that point I had not hooked to the network. Could it be attempting to register the software? Since it is not opening a browser how can I determine what it is connecting to? Thanks

Get a firewall, such as Sygate's and it will show you where it's trying to connect to. You'll also have the option of allowing it to connect or not.

Your system may be trying to check for Windows updates.

Right click on My Computer > choose Properties > select Automatic Updates (tab) > choose your preference under Notification Settings.

You may also want to check the Dial-up Preferences settings at:

Right click Network Places > choose Properties > select Advanced (menu) > Dial-up Preferences... > enable (check) Always ask me before autodialing.
----
"eXPerience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards." - annon

common spyware programs may also be the source of autodial as i find out lately try scanning your system with software called ad-aware remember to install the update signuture file (locate it and copy it to the intallation directory of ad-aware)

CSP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back