Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

XP IP address problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

ckugo

IS-IT--Management
Jan 6, 2004
US
I have a laptop that is part of my network. 5 win 2k servers, DHCP, and all the goods. The laptop functions properly when logged into the network and obtaining an IP address via the DHCP server but as soon as I enter a static IP address that is not on our network it pretty much just dies. I have ran a Winsock and TCP repair utility, released the IP, scanned for viruses and spyware, pretty much everything I can think of. The computer acts like it just won't let go of that IP address. And when I assign it a different one it just stops working. Stops working as in, can't open anything. The computer doesn't shut down, but you cannot open any form of window. Anyone have any ideas??

Thanks in advance,

Chris

A few more details would help. Are you entering all the information that the DHCP server gives out?

Examples:
- ip address <- is this on the right sub-net?
- subnet mask
- dns servers
- gateway

If any of these are incorrect for this subnet you will have tcp/ip network problems.

The laptop works fine on my network. An employee takes the laptop home and does some work from home. Monday she informed me that she could not connect to anything here at work with her dial-up connection. She brought it in on Tuesday for me to look at and it did the exact same thing here. When I dial her ISP from work it locks up right after it connects. When I hook it up to our back-up ISP (not DHCP, cable internet) as soon as I enter the static information in the TCP/IP properties it locks up. Then as soon as I unplug the network cable it unfreezes.

OzCND, I really don't understand what you are asking me. I do control all the information that the DHCP server hands out, but the laptop works fine when obtaining it's IP. It is when it receives a different IP is when it starts to complain. We are on a /29 subnet with our back-up ISP.

I have also tried different profiles. All return the same results.

Thanks OzCDN for the reply.

Chris

I was off on the wrong track based on your first note.

Let me see if I've got it now. This machine runs fine if the network is unplugged or if it is on your LAN getting TCP/IP settings from DHCP. But, XP becomes completely unresponsive when you hook up to the internet via cable or dial-up (manual config in the former case and DHCP in the latter).

If the above is correct, then a guess would be that you have a virus or spyware that is using all your CPU cycles when it gets onto an open internet connection. When it is on your LAN your firewall (assuming you have one) is blocking the connection so it does not use up all the CPU cycles.

There are a lot of assumptions there so I may be way off base. But, my experience is that spyware is starting to reach crippling levels from a tech support point of view and the problems caused are sometimes obscure.

If you need help in detecting and removing spyware there are many threads on this board where bcastner has given very detailed instructions (there is probably a FAQ by now as well).

Yes, you are correct now. I have scanned with stinger, adware, spybot, and norton is installed on the machine. It is up-to-date with all critical updates and everything. The only one I haven't used yet is Pest Patrol. I agree with you though, but I just really don't know what else to use. Thanks for your input.

Chris

1. Have you done faq779-4625
2. Have you tried using netsh.exe to create profiles? 3. Have you checked to see if both modem and ethernet NIC have newer drivers?

Some of the issue is explained here:
For one laptop I added a PCMCIA adapter (so that there were two interfaces). The office LAN used the built-in adapter, any non-office setting used the PCMCIA. Eventually a driver update obviated the need for two adapters, but a PCMCIA ethernet board is inexpensive.

This of course does not address the dial-up issue. It still sounds like a Winsock issue.

A couple suggestions/possibilities I haven't seen here are a 'winsock hijack' which can be checked/removed with LSPFix.exe, and an issue I run into often where I work....which is that when you set a static IP on our Domain you have to set the Gateway, DNS, and WINS as well, otherwise the PC will not work properly.

Both of these issues will affect normal LAN connection and dial-up, as well as connection to Cable or DSL modems.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back