Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Xp Install Vs. 2000

Status
Not open for further replies.

lashwarj

IS-IT--Management
Nov 1, 2000
US
I have a program I have written on a 2000 machine. I need to be able to install it on XP machines also (Win95,98,2000,NT and XP) I have an XP machine at home is there anyway I can make an install from that. Also I need to customize the install program to give the user the option to install the correct version.

Assuming you are using the Setup Wizard (w/ VFP 3/5/6) or Install Shield Express w/ VFP 7.0, these OS dependent differences will be taken care of.

You aren't suggesting you have different programs based on the OS are you?

Rick

I am using VFP 7 with the install shield. No for some reason it doesnt like the driver I am using on my odbc, saying I need to update it when I do to do the install on a XP machine and it will not complete the install

You will need to have platform dependent ODBC drivers installed on all platforms you plan on installing the app on.
Dave S.

ODBC should be installed on the machine, it is not part of the exe

OK that I know, I am curious on how to setup platform dependent ODBC driver installations.

If the ODBC driver is installed on the destination machine, you will need to configure it to connect to whatever data source it needs to connect to.
Let's say your app will be using an Access table on the user's machine. You configure the ODBC driver with a connection to the Access data, then your app will use that connection when it is run.
If you're asking how to automatically set up an ODBC connection to a data source using the install wizard or Install Shield, sorry. I don't know how that is done.
Dave S.

No I know how to setup the ODBC for the install, but when I compile my program on my 2000 machine the install will not function on the XP machine, it gives me an error about needing to update the ODBC driver. So i need to know what I need to do to make a program install the correct odbc's for the Operating System

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back