Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

XP install problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

splyce

Technical User
Feb 3, 2003
US
I just build a AMD 1900 using the Abit KR7A-133. XP says "An error has been encountered that prevents setup from continuing. One of the components that Windows needs to continue setup could not be installed. The parameter is incorrect." It then says this in the log: "Installation failed. D:\I386\asms The Parameter is incorrect."

Things to keep in mind...I am installing to C: so I do not know why it is using D at all.

I have the same problem and it's unrelated to the knowledge base article that was mentioned.

If anyone knows of other resources, or has any ideas on how to solve the problem, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Digitron (Visitor)

The only other mention of ASMS I can find at MSKB is this. Also did you check out the Thread Link from above to a page further into this forum?

How to Deploy Windows XP Images from Windows 2000 RIS Servers(Q304314)

If you details are different from "splyce (Visitor)" can you give us some details. Thanks.

I am having the exact same problem as the originator. I am running a Tyan Dual 1.2 setup with lilo swiching between a 40gig fat32 drive and a 40gig linux drive. I remade the partition on the primary master which is the fat32 drive and formatted it. Then went to install and it copied all the files properly with no hitch then in 5 secs of the actual install under the XP gui it popped up:

"Error:
Installation Failed: D:\i386\asms. Error Message: The parameter is incorrect.

xxx

Fatal Error:
One of the components that windows needs to continue setup could not be installed.

The paramter is incorrect."

If anyone is smarter than me which is prolly everyone on these boards please have charity on me and help me.

Thanks
Josh

Ok I got my problem fixed. It turns out that XP will not install properly with my Yamaha Burner or other burners for that matter. I had it set as primary master and booted from the xp on it. I ganked a cd drive from a co worker and set it to boot from the plain cd drive and it went through without a hitch.
Thanks,
Josh

Semms that im not the only one having this problem...im really sorry if what u where looking for was an answer...but im just postion this message to tell u that you are not alone, im one more with this problem...i changed my CD-RW to my CD-ROM and still doesnet work my HDD is in NTFS...man, if someone's IC is big enough to resolve this problem, id really appreciate it.

I too was plaqued by similar problems in loading WinXP. After over 6 hours with Microsoft, they said I had a bad disk. I was running an ASUS A7v266-C with Athlon 1800XP+. 256MB DDR. I tried using both my CD-RW and my DVD burners. You won't guess what it was. A poor (not bad, it works fine with Win98) but poor quality DDR stick. It was brand new like everything else in the system but it was the inexpensive on sale DDR. I took it back and got a named brand, installed it and was up and running fully loaded in 35 minutes. It seems when copying all the files, (there are 5,082) for WinXP to your C Drive, everything goes through the RAM. If it is poor quality, it won't quite copy all the files completely. When I finally got my name brand and held them up next to each other, the difference between the two was like a Seal Team standing next to Cub Scouts. You could actually see the difference in the quality of workmanship. Best of luck to you

This happened to me as well. Turned out to be a bad CD and I suspect its the same for some people here.

If you try to copy the content of \I386\ASMS\ to another machine you will likely find that there is an error on one of the files and they can't be copied.

I switched to another CD of Windows XP and all went fine for me.

i have this exact same problem, same error, everything

i'm trying to set up Win XP on an Athlon XP 2200+ / Asus A7S333, 512mb Samsung pc2700 DDR

but i tried installing it on a different machine (but using the same new hard disk - WD special edition 80gb) and got the same error

is it a bad CD? i always get:

"Installation Failed: D:\i386\asms. Error Message: The parameter is incorrect."

or is it the hard disk ? (i hope not)

I had this same problem. I isolated it to the CONTROLS.MAN file in the CD-Drive:\I386\ASMS\6000\MSFT\WINDOWS\COMMON\CONTROLS directory. When ever I tried to copy this file it generated a fail to read drive error. All this was the result of a bad CD. When I tried a new CD it installed without a hitch.

Well I just lost at 667mhz p3 motherboard to someone with a bad habit of proping their coke on the pc case... So I replaced it with an amd athelon800 and asus a7v133 mb. I was getting can't continue, the error number is 7. Quite useful. NOT. Turns out if you plug the drives into the ata100 ports on the mb, XP will blow up and not load. A swap of cables to the regular ide controller fixed the install issues. And that, my friends, is another sad feather in the microsoft hat of infinite screwups. And people wonder why i prefer Linux to this stuff?

Geez!

I had this problem with a 1.3 Athlon system. Turned out to be a mbr issuer. I ended up just ghosting another system on to the drive since they were identical. I doubt this will do you any good but you might want to check another drive in the system just to make sure

After three days of fighting this issue on my own Tyan S2460 w/ U160 SCSI chain, it boiled down to the CD itself. The two optical drives that are normally on the chain (Yamaha CRW2100S and Pioneer DVD-303) generated different but drive-unique, repeatable errors when attempting to install XP Pro from a CD-R.

Reinstalling the drive that wrote the CD-R (Matsushita CW-7502-B) cleared the issue. I'm thankful the copy finally worked, since my Australian Shepherd puppy made confetti of the original... :-( I suspect it isn't the drive, so much as the CD-R stock being used outside it's stated speed range. I'll be wasting an hour or two testing the theory.

I experienced the same error that midway22 (Visitor) posted on Aug 28, 2002:

When attempting to install WinXP Pro, about 3/4 through setup it bombed with:

"Error: Installation Failed: D:\i386\asms. Error Message: The parameter is incorrect.

Fatal Error: One of the components that windows needs to continue setup could not be installed. The paramter is incorrect."

And my fix was the same as midway22's -- XP will not install properly with my Yamaha Burner -- I put in a regular CD-ROM and reinstalled WinXP Pro without a problem.

Of course I put my Yamaha Burner back in after the first successful boot and everything appears to be working.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back