Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

XP Install Fatal Error

Status
Not open for further replies.

iamjd

Technical User
Feb 12, 2005
US
Each attempt that I try and install Windows XP Pro, I continually get a fatal error stating:

Installation Failed: D:\I386\asms. Error Message: Data Error (Cyclic Redundancy Check).

I am not sure why the install is doing this. I have tried to install it on multiple computers (using the same destination drive). I still get the same error. After setup runs its preinstallation (ensuring there is a NTFS partition & copying setup files to HD) it reboots. It then boots to the destination drive (c:) and continually gives me this error. Since it boots to the destination drive (c:), and I get a CRC error from the D: drive, what does this mean? Shouldn't setup run solely from the destination drive where the setup files were copied to?

Everyones input on this is appreciated. Also, I had made a backup of the xp pro cd in hopes that the CD was just dirty but it still failed and gave me the same error.

I couldn't find the solution to my problem from that link.

XP Install - asms parameter incorrect -> ??
thread779-275422

Have a look at this paragraph in the following article.
You Receive a File Copy Error During Setup.

HOW TO: Troubleshoot Windows XP Problems During Installation When You Upgrade from Windows 98 or Windows Me

I tried doing what alpha4eva recommended and could not complete his steps.

I tried to access the c drive using a dos boot disk and could not access it. I then used ntfsdos.exe and accessed it but once i go into the windows folder I couldn't find the i386 folder. It is nonexistant. That means the setup hasn't even gotten that far in creating it. In fact, the setup doesn't even display a progress bar; it simply gives me the error before it starts installing. I tried creating the directory and it said unable to create directory.

Are you selecting the "With Cd-ROM support" option from your 9x Startup Floppy?

307848 - HOW TO: Start Setup from MS-DOS in Windows XP

What about the option to use FAT32 as your file system initially followed by using Convert exe to finish up with NTFS.

307881 - HOW TO: Convert a FAT16 or FAT32 Volume to NTFS in Windows XP

If you continue to receive this error message, copy the i386 folder from the CD-ROM drive to your local hard disk, and then try to run the Setup program from your hard disk.

You have to make the folders i386, ASMS, and several others with the MD command and then copy all the files into those folders with the copy command and using wildcards (*.*) .

See this thread for Dos copy alternatives such as Xcopy and Robocopy, you may have to locate and include these applications on your startup floppy (or a second floppy) as you will with SmartDrv (which you should load before doing any type of copying).

copying a directory tree using a dos bat file
thread779-1077173

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back