Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

XP Install BSOD

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlayneRTFM

IS-IT--Management
Jan 2, 2004
CA
CPU - AMD K6-2 500MHz
Motherboard - wish I knew
RAM 256MB PC133

I recently had a guy come to me and say he just installed xp and he had no mouse or sound. Since he had no programs installed yet I figured I'd start out fresh and wipe the drive and do a clean install.

When I try to install xp I get one of two errors - 75% of the time I get an "IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL" error or 25% of the time I get an error saying setup cannot copy card.dll press esc to retry etc. when I press any key I then get the IRQL error again. This happens with several copies of xp so it's not a bad cd.

I've also tried stripping out all hardware except 1 stick of RAM, CPU Video, cd-rom and HDD. I then replaced each of these components 1 at a time but I still get errors. I've played with BIOS settings trying every combo I can think of and still nothing.

I don't know how this guy got xp on this system, I've tried everything I can think of and nothing works. Can anyone help me?

No I don.t think so. I've tried several copies of xp and several cd-roms and still get the same problem.

Maybe the cdrom drive is bad.
Maybe the Hard drive is bad.
Maybe the memory is bad.
Maybe the motherboad is bad.
Maybe the CPU is bad.
Maybe the power supply is bad.

BSOD is a hardware error!

If you do not like my post feel free to point out your opinion or my errors.

CPU - AMD K6-2 500MHz
Motherboard - wish I knew
RAM 256MB PC133

With this setup you are using technology that was designed way before Windows XP. My best guess is that the motherboard does not support the requirements of the operating system. There may be a work around for it.

If you do not like my post feel free to point out your opinion or my errors.

the only thing you need for a clean post is :
CPU
memory
video
all connected to the mobo.
im assuming your getting no BIOS / POST error codes here as they are not mentioned.

plug in your hard drive and just the componants listed above.
go in the BIOS{tap the DEL key as the PC starts to boot}, there might be an option for PNP OS {plug and play compliant operating system} turn it off and let the BIOS handle the resources like your IRQ's and your mem addresses. {IRQ NOT LESS OR EQUAL THAN error huh? } if it is allready disabled than turn on PNP OS.
then try to install XP.
if you have onboard stuff {NIC, sound, etc} disable them by going in the BIOS or by jumpering them to the off position on the motherboard.
try installing XP.
on a side note, have you installed any new componants or removed some? if yes try resetting the BIOS {a little jumper on the motherboard usually located near the motherboard battery with 3 pins.}it will be shorting 2 of the 3 pins, we'll say 1 and 2. turn the PC off and move the jumper over so its shorting pins 2 and 3 and count 2 five then replace the jumper to the original pins {1 and 2}. try installing XP again.
if you cant find the jumper you can remove the mobo battery with the same effect. or look into the BIOS again for an option called RESET THE ESCD DATABASE or something similliar. just change the option next to it to YES and reboot after saving the changes.
try installing XP again.
sorry for the long winded post here but older PCs are a pain as you can tell.
good luck
AJ
PS did the PC come with all of that memory or did you add some? if you added some then remove it and try installing XP.

the only thing you need for a clean post is :
CPU
memory
video
all connected to the mobo.
im assuming your getting no BIOS / POST error codes here as they are not mentioned.

plug in your hard drive and just the componants listed above.
go in the BIOS{tap the DEL key as the PC starts to boot}, there might be an option for PNP OS {plug and play compliant operating system} turn it off and let the BIOS handle the resources like your IRQ's and your mem addresses. {IRQ NOT LESS OR EQUAL THAN error huh? } if it is allready disabled than turn on PNP OS.
then try to install XP.
if you have onboard stuff {NIC, sound, etc} disable them by going in the BIOS or by jumpering them to the off position on the motherboard.
try installing XP.
on a side note, have you installed any new componants or removed some? if yes try resetting the BIOS {a little jumper on the motherboard usually located near the motherboard battery with 3 pins.}it will be shorting 2 of the 3 pins, we'll say 1 and 2. turn the PC off and move the jumper over so its shorting pins 2 and 3 and count 2 five then replace the jumper to the original pins {1 and 2}. try installing XP again.
if you cant find the jumper you can remove the mobo battery with the same effect. or look into the BIOS again for an option called RESET THE ESCD DATABASE or something similliar. just change the option next to it to YES and reboot after saving the changes.
try installing XP again.
sorry for the long winded post here but older PCs are a pain as you can tell.
good luck
AJ
PS did the PC come with all of that memory or did you add some? if you added some then remove it and try installing XP.

You can try this too. do a format of the hdd and recertify it with the mfr utility (if you can)
boot to dos (then copy all the i386 directory to the hdd. then run the xpinstall from the hdd. I've had a few pcs with marginal cd drive and they can copy in dos but the windoze installer on the cd is flakey. also make sure you put smart drive on the bootable dos floppy that really speed up the copy / install. good luck and let us know how it goes ....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back