Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

XP in Networked Environment

Status
Not open for further replies.

pio

MIS
Aug 24, 2000
US
In my company we are running NT server 4 with the majority of users as Win98 and a couple with NT 4 Workstation and 2000 Pro. My manager wants to upgrade her machine 2000 Pro to XP. I would like to know if there are ANY ramifications if she does do this. It's bad enough that we aren't even fully on Win2000 and I have to support XP. I haven't palyed around with 2000 too much and god forbid XP...

I hope someone out there can shed some light on this issue...I really don't want XP on the network...

Thanks!!!

We've got NT and 2K servers and we run 95, 98, 2K, and XP on different workstations throughout the company. I'm not a networking person, so I'm not sure of the particulars, but I know it works here. BeckahC
X-)

Welcome to the jungle!!

We run an NT4 network with 100+ workstations and 50+ servers. I have upgraded 25 workstations to W2K and we will put the W2K domain controller on line Monday 3/11. I am sweating bullets.

I now have 4 XP workstations on the network and so far have experienced NO problems what-so-ever. XP even works with our wireless (802.11) system in one of the old buildings.

Go for it. As far as I am concerned, after using XP I wouldn't go back to NT for love nor money.

Well, such is the life of a Sys Admin. :) When the manager speaks we usually have to listen. If Win2K is working XP Pro will work.

There are two takes on how to install.

1. Go the "upgrade over Win2K" path and you get to retain most if not all of the settings without a lot of configuring, joining domain and such.

2. Go the "clean install" route (my preference BTW) and you will have to configure some stuff. It is pretty much the same as Win2k but there are differences maily where things are etc.

Option 1 is faster and generally easier but has more potential for "issues" if the system has been accumulating tweaks etc. over time.

Option 2 means you have to learn some new stuff but is IMHO easier in the long run.

One important note BEFORE upgrading be sure the machine has the latest BIOS. Also check for NIC card firmware and other important devices like video and sound card. And if you have it don't use CD Creator until you get the updates from Roxio.

Good luck and Happy eXPeriencing... ----
"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards."

Thanks so much for everyones quick response...I guess I'll give my "mangler" the good news...whoohoo!!!

Ray

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back