Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

xp- how do i remove spyware from notification area? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

futzy1

Technical User
Jun 29, 2006
US
my computer was unprotected for a few days and some spyware broke in. i now have 2 problems that i can't solve.
1 - this annoying thing keeps popping up in the notification area telling me that my computer is infected (i scanned it and it's NOT)- when i click on it takes me to some security website where they want me to buy their software. it pops up about every 30 seconds and is slowing everything down. i tried everything (modifying notification area settings etc.) and nothing works
2- evey time i go online it automaticaly takes me to a different website that wants to sell me security software - even though my homepage is set to BLANK!

any help would be greatly appreciated!!

better yet.
if you want to save your work first, press control+alt+delete select excel and "switch to"
then press alt+F4 and you'll be prompted to save your work before it closes

Webroot Spysweeper 14 Day Trial will kill that piece of spyware.

Download it here:

Update the defs and do a sweep.

Also check this out:

Ewido download:

Update it and run a complete scan.

I would also check it with some other virus scanners just to make sure.

Best regards.

Erik

first of all- disregard my previous post about alt+F4- i was trying to answer a different thread and got mixed up. sorry

re. my spyware problem - i already tried all kinds of scans and sweeps.
but i was surfing google and came up with someone who described my exact problem better than i!
i copied and pasted and here it is:

"My friend has got this spywarequake and I have tried Spybot, Norton, HijackThis, AdAware both in normal and safety mode.

I believe the spywarequake itself may have been removed, but it left an annoying message that appears from time to time in the notification area (bottom right of the screen).

To see the complete message, please go here: This is the page of XoftSpy which pledges it can remove the bug, but you'll have to spend some bucks. Well theremust be a way to remove the false message from the notification area without having to pay for anything..."

well, there you have it- my exact problem - any sggestions how to to get rid of it pro bono?

here again, that may take care of the one spyquake, but you need to run spysweeper and probably also ewido plus an online scanner and fix the entire issue.

Regards.

Erik

thanks a million.
it worked!
did it also get rid of my trojan horse?

Make sure that you check the logs and see what they are getting rid of, I would suspect between the two progs plus an online scan would get rid of the trojan though. Look over the logs and post back if you are unsure.

Erik

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back