Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

XP home

Status
Not open for further replies.

crabby117

IS-IT--Management
Sep 22, 2003
US
Can an XP Home machine check email on an Exchange 2003 server via imap, not pop? Can it take advantage of all public calendaring and contacts? If I recall correctly, XP Home doesn't give the user a domain logon, so I didn't know if that would be a problem. (Though the user can get to shared network files by manual mapping and a subsequent login prompt.)

Ex2003 supports IMAP and POP3 for mail delivery.

Outlook Express supports these.

For calendaring, you will need Outlook, or enable OWA

===

Fatman Superstar (Andrew James)

CCNA,

I'm not so much worried about the capabilities of Outlook (or Exchange) as the fact that XP Home does not log onto a domain, like an XP Pro machine would. And that being the case, can an XP Home machine take advantage of Exchange the way it's supposed to.

What are you trying to achieve, I dont understand why you would want XP Home to log onto a domain?

===

CCNA,

Wasn't my choice. The customer already went out and looked for the cheapest machines they could find, which came with XP Home. Had they consulted with us first, we would have recommended against that. Now they want to spend more money to invest in Exchange. I'd like to be able to tell them whether or not they're going to have to pop for XP Pro upgrades first.

Please specify what you are trying to acheive.

===

CCNA,

I haven't actauuly tried this with XP Home, but if you run Outlook/Exchange on a XP Pro machine which is not part of a domain, then Outlook asks for user credentials on startup.

In which case I see no reason why this would not work the same on Xp Home, unless Microsoft have crippled outlook.

I can't actaully try this as I do not have an XP Home machine.

Andy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back