Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

xp home wont shutdown but restarts

Status
Not open for further replies.

bozzy784

IS-IT--Management
Apr 20, 2003
GB
XP home, service pack 1

Since installing a Belkin firewire PCI card when I try to shutdown my PC it automatically restarts. In order to try and further identify the problem I have carried out the following as recommended by an MS webcast.

1. Running the PC in safe mode when I try to shutdown it still restarts.
2. After carrying out a clean boot when I try to shutdown it still restarts.
3. After carrying out a system restore to a point priot to the install of the PCI card when I try to shutdown it still restarts.
4. The bootlog doesn't reveal any obvious errors.
5. The vent viewer for the system shows only information messages. No stop error messages.
6. Under system properties - advanced - startup and recovery I have diasbled the automatic restart and when I try to shutdown it still restarts.
Any help gratefully received.

Look again in your Event Viewer and check any "Information" line that mentions "savedump" and you should find reference to "recovered from a bug check". This is the Stop Error that caused your problem.

"Windows XP Restarts When You Try to Shut Down Your Computer (Q311806)"

Thanks. Couldn't find any 'save dump'references in the event viewer for the system however the last info message is as follows 'The IMAPI CD-Burning COM Service service entered the stopped state.'

Do you have any Minidump files in Windows/Minidump that correspond with the times of the error?
If so see if you can locate a BugCheckCode (The Stop Error) in the dump file.

315263 - Reading the Small Memory Dump Files That Windows Can Create for Debugging

254649 - Windows Memory Dump File Options Overview

307973 - HOW TO: Configure System Failure and Recovery Options in Windows

How to Use Dumpchk.exe to Check a Memory Dump File

Only 2 minidump files that were from way before the problem started. A restart does not produce a new one.

You could look at typing MSINFO32 in the Start Run box, and check Components/ Problem Devices. Also check Hardware Resources/ Conflict-Sharing and also IRQs.

HOW TO: Verify Unsigned Device Drivers in Windows XP

If you do a search at this site (Tek-Tips) using PCI Card or similar as the criteria you should find plenty of hits. I often see posts about "swapping slots" etc.

Here are some Google links too incase you haven't been there.

What CD ROM Burning Software Do you use.??

If Roxio go to Roxio Web site to download and install the updated driver for Easy CD Creator 5.0 for Windows XP:

I had this problem and it was due to incorrect driver versions. In mine, it turned out to be the wrong driver for a logitech cordless keyboard that was doing it! Make sure that all your drivers are the latest versions, for XP.

Hope this helps,

Chris

Bigamy is having one wife too many.
Marraige is the same.
-Oscar Wilde

Thanks Guys

I have found 2 unsigned device drivers that are from roxio on the device manager for my CDRW and DVD. Moving them to another directory and shutting down does not fix the problem (it still restarts). No roxio software such as Easy CD creator exists on the PC but it may have done in the past. The latest version of easy cd creator will not load on PC as there is no qualified roxio product installed.

I have a total of 13 unsigned device drivers to check. Seems a lot to me?

Make a System Restore point before you uninstall or disable any driver or device. If you just move them Windows might remember the location you moved them to and still use them.
You could try Renaming them instead of moving them.

Renamed all unsigned drivers but I still have the problem...Aaargh

We all admire your perseverance and hope you eventually solve this problem. Have you been to this site which is a good Shutdown troubleshooting site?

You might like to wade through these google links and see if anything useful turns up.

The only thing further that comes to mind is you could try repairing windows itself by running it over itself. You will lose all your windows updates but your files will be untouched.

How to Perform an In-Place Upgrade (Reinstallation) of Windows XP (Q315341)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back