Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

XP home upgrade to XP pro 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Citt1

MIS
Sep 17, 2003
US
How do I upgrade XP home to XP professional?

I would agree with kiddpete.
My experience was dreadful. I upgraded from home to pro and crashed the entire system. I lost mucho software. Microsoft helped me rebuild 90%(1 week on the phone) but blammed it on Easy CD Creator and HP.
Be careful.

Regards
Peter Buitenhek
Profit Developer.com

We have had some problems upgrading from XP HOME to PRO. You will need to go out and purchase the upgrade to XP PRO.
But personally i would back up my data some where and reinstall with a clean version of XP PRO. Good luck

Erik

"There are no stupid questions, But there are A LOT of inquisitive idiots."

If you have any qualifying CD's (98, Me or Home etc), you can save some cash and use an Upgrade version of XP Pro and just insert the qualifying CD (when requested) during your clean install of Pro.

XP Home to Pro Upgrade
thread779-624396

How bad is upgrade from XP home to XP pro?
thread779-472923

Upgrade from XP Home to XP Pro
thread779-551955

XP Home > Pro confusion
thread779-404276

Should you purchase an OEM license version of XP?
faq779-4004

307229 - Icons, Favorites, E-Mail Messages, and Customization Is Missing After Upgrade to Windows

"a computer preinstalled with an OEM version of XP Home might not upgrade using a retail version of XP Pro upgrade. This is especially true of laptop computers that have a customized OEM version of XP Home installed. In that case, only a clean install will work. Laptop computers require specialized hardware drivers not found in the conventional "retail, upgrade" version of Windows XP. It would have been best if you had initially called HP support and ordered HP's version of Windows XP
Pro for your specific HP computer." - Carry FISH

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back