Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

XP Home--SFC prompting for XP Pro SP2 CD?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NucomMat

Vendor
Oct 30, 2002
US
I have a pc that is prompting for the Windows XP Professional Service Pack 2 CD and the pc is running WinXP Home Sp1..anyone ever seen this?

Tried to burn the I386 folder from the PC to a CD to see if it would find the files there, and no luck.

Anyone seen this?

Thanks,

Mat

XO SP2 is only out in beta form yet.
When does it pormpt for sp2?

"Sometimes I do not know but I try hard"- R.F. Haughty 1923

Kippy13

Sorry about the clairity of the question, it occurs when SFC is ran.

I know it is not out yet for the end user, that is what makes it so odd that it is prompting me for the Sp2 disk.
It is a customers PC that has no access to the SP 2 distro as of yet, but I did notice that some of the Hot-fixes refrence SP2 in the name.

When you run sfc /scannow it then prompts for the Windows XP Pro CD w/Sp2 and the OS that is installed is XP Home with SP1.

Thanks again,

Mat

The hotfixes would read"pre Service Pack 2" which is common at this stage.
Are u sure its not the office xp sp2 cd its prompting for?

Yeah, it is prompting "Insert your Windows XP Professional Service Pack 2 CD now" when it tries to run SFC...very very odd.

-Mat

Im stumped!
Heres a similiar issue but sadly not a great solution.

And similiarily this one, however its not prompting for SP2.
I hope that someone else will be able to help you with this....

Kippy13

I uninstalled all the Hotfixes that had (SP2) in the name, they do not say pre Service Pack 2 just (SP2) and was able to run SFC with no problem. Thanks for you help, but looks like MS is getting ahead of it's self again with releasing some of the SP2 stuff in hot fixes.

Thanks again for your input.

-Mat

Thats really annoying and very dangerous, that means u dont have those SP's installed now.
Microsoft....the bain of our lives!
Thanks for the feed back, its good to know/

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back