Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

XP Home runs slower than a 386

Status
Not open for further replies.

Righty

IS-IT--Management
May 24, 2001
US
I am running a P4 with 256 Mg of Ram. It is running XP Home Edition. I took this drive out of the computer and ran it as a secondary drive in another computer. I ran it through the Master drives Anti-virus. There were a few infected files that I deleted. When I put it back into the original box it still runs very very slowly. Any ideas why this would be happening. It is a fairly new system. After connecting to the internet, I try to update McAfee on this drive and it says it cannot find an internet connection. Should I go to Safe Mode, uninstall McAfee and then re-install it. Any ideas on the speed and why McAfee doesn't update?

If you're running XP why not use the Restore facility and Restore your computer back to a previous state. I had a problem with Norton Internet Security and had to do the same !

Simon Everitt, Lockwell Lectrics Ltd
System Administrator

Is you internet connection working?
Is the connection set up correctly in McAffee?
It may be worth your while uninstalling then reinstalling mcafee however I see no reason to go into safe mode.
It look like there are still some reminants of a virus still there:
have you tried an online scan?

"Sometimes I do not know but I try hard"- R.F. Haughty 1923

Does the manual updating of McAfee work?

Have you checked that you have configured any Automatic Updater correctly and that any Firewall is allowing access for the Automatic Updater.

Also check any resident scanning is not scanning "All Files" and that it is set for the "Default" or the more dangerous types of files.

Leave or set any "On Demand" scanning to check "All Files"

If you have just installed XP your drive may need to be Defragged. Running the Disk Cleanup tool will help too.

Type MSCONFIG in the Run Box to see what is loading at start up.

Try disabling any unrequired services that are running in background.

Computer Speed and Performance May Decrease (Q310419)

HOW TO: Set Performance Options (Q308417)

Spybot

Ad-aware

Hijack This

The last three will check your computer for spyware and adware.

Removing adware & spyware
Before Posting a Hijack log file - Best Practices
faq608-4650

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back