Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

xp home registry problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jdtjr

Technical User
Nov 9, 2001
US
Almost every time I boot up I get this message;

" One of the files containing the systems registry data had to be recovered by use of a log or alternate copy. The recovery was sucessful"

Suggestions anybody?

AMD 800
512 meg ram
45 gig

The 1st solution to try would be a System Restore.

This is in -

Programs ->Accessories ->System Tools.

Try a restore date before the problem started. ---------------
Johnodq
---------------
Please let me know if the advice I give is of help.
Feedback will benefit all

Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply. Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

The message appeared when I first booted the system 4 days ago after installing xp home on a newly formatted HD

Is it XP Home SP1 or SP1a version that you have installed?

What do Microsoft Support say about it? Have you tried them? There is a mention of a fix in articles above.

The O/S is xp home sp1. I have not contacted Microsoft as of yet. After I check out the links posted to this thread I will.

Thank You and I will report my progress.

I have the same thing coming up. I have a Windows XP Pro system I had not switched on for a few months. A few days ago I switched it on and hooked it up to the net. I pulled down about 50Mb of patches and when I had finished and rebooted, I got the same error message “one of the files containing the system’s registry data had to be recovered by use of a log or alternate copy. The recovery was successful”

Yesterday my system Blue Screened with an error and I restored an older registry file, which fixed that problem. However I am still getting the popup about registry recovery comeing up.

Any ideas? I have looked at

Did you try this fix?

815011 - Cannot Disable the Registry Repair and Recovery Feature in Windows XP SP1

Disable the Registry Repair and Recovery Feature.

WARNING: If you use Registry Editor incorrectly, you may cause serious problems that may require you to reinstall your operating system. Microsoft cannot guarantee that you can solve problems that result from using Registry Editor incorrectly. Use Registry Editor at your own risk.

To disable the Registry Repair and Recovery feature, install the hotfix that is described in the article, and then make the following registry change:

Key: \System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Configuration Manager
Name: SelfHealingEnabled
DWORD value: 0 indicates disabled

Cheers linney, by that only would show the cause of the problem, not actually fix it. It would help with troubleshooting I suppose, but I need to know if there is any way to fix the problem.

Refresh our memories, are you getting this popup message still? Or are you asking what caused the registry to get corrupted in the first place?

Have you tried a free Registry Cleaner such as JV 16 Powertools from
A re-installation might fix it up (or it might take any registry corruption onboard with it). You will lose all your windows updates but your files will be untouched.

How to Perform an In-Place Upgrade (Reinstallation) of Windows XP (Q315341)

A Reformat and Clean Install should solve it once and for all.

HI all.
The only solution to this is to reinstall Windows XP.
I have been wreseling with this for about a week and have concluded that this is a network issue caused by Critical updates.

When the XP box is in a workgroup all seams fine, however as soon as its added to a domain with the latest Microsoft critical updates added, the " One of the files containing the systems registry data had to be recovered by use of a log or alternate copy. The recovery was sucessful" messages apears.

So reinstall Windows and do not Service pack it or update untill MS fixes this issue.

Hope this is useful.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back