Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

XP Home Networking - not working

Status
Not open for further replies.

actdjohng

MIS
Apr 26, 2002
US
Trying to start the Home Networking, I have done the Home Networking Wizard, and have taken the floppy and installed on my Laptop running ME, both boxes can see each other, but neither can ping to the other. I have tried both static IP addy's and DCHP assigned, all to no avail. MS Knowledge base was not of too much help.

Any similiar problems out there, with maybe a resolution?

John Garrison

I had problems at first home networking. It ended up being xp's home firewall.

Problem usually created by your local firewall. I suggest if you have a firewall installed(zonealarm, mcafee etc), you completely uninstall the firewall while setting up the network, and then reinstall it when finished.

P.S. Dont just take the short cut for the firewall from the start folder so it won't launch at startup as the installation of the firewall normally replaces some windows vectors. Completely uninstall it. Then reinstall it on completion.

Hope this helps.

Did you check to see if the internet connection sharing box is checked under advanced properties? Right click on your connection, go to properties and look under advanced and see if the box is checked.

i think the best way is to use your own ip addresses to make you network, it's better that way, don't use home networking wizard, it sucks,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back