Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

XP Home Locks after Update

Status
Not open for further replies.

stinkyluk

IS-IT--Management
Feb 11, 2002
US
I have been working on this Dell Presario 700 for about two weeks now. The computer was originally locking up which is why it was put in my hands. I decided to restore the computer with the Restore Disks. It ran beautifully. I started doing the Windows updates and it started freezing again. After many restores, I have found that when I install the KB826939 Update Rollup 1, this is when the freezing occurs. I have installed all other updates and the computer works like a charm. If I install this update, it locks. Also, the Security Update, KB825119, won't install. Any ideas why? I haven't found any info about this at Microsoft or here. Thanks in advance.

In relation to KB825119 try the following link and look for the free Microsoft Support options (near the bottom) about this patch.

This tool might be handy too.

282784 - Qfecheck.exe Verifies the Installation of Windows 2000 and Windows XP Hotfixes

Your problem may be because this sounds like an OEM installation of XP and contacting Dell Support to see if there are any known problems with either of these patches might help.

To get away from the problems caused by the Rollup package and by KB825119 you could look at using the free Security CD released by Microsoft that covers all Security Updates up to October 2003.

833242 How to obtain and use the Windows Security Update CD (February 2004)

This would slipstream most of the updates in one go, leaving only the later ones to battle with.

Thank you, I will check things out and let you know.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back