Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

XP Home IE locking up

Status
Not open for further replies.

tls9923

Technical User
Aug 7, 2002
US
I reinstalled OEM ed of XP Home on a Dell Latitude 8100. All I have loaded is xp home and the default settings. I try to run IE to download updates and update the device drivers and IE locksup and I have to powerdown to reboot. I have tried a USB network card and it still will lock. This is a clean install of xp Home using OEM install disk. Any ideas??

Thanks

Terrel Schimpf

You should find in your original materials from Dell a Drive Installation Disk as well as the OEM XP CD.

I used the orig OEM cd from Dell. I have the drivers disk also. It does not have the correct drivers for the NIC. It loads by default with intel but the card is somthing else. Dell only sent 3com drivers. The network card appears to work but when I install an different USB NIC and use it the computer still locks up.

Usually Dell disks has more than one set of drivers on them....

But if you know your machines service tag you could go to dell website and be able to download specific nic drivers for your machine.

Usually on newer dell machines the nic will be an Intel made Gigabit nic called Intel Pro MT 1000.

Check this url for download

Its the same driver for the PRO 100 nic's as well.

---
Make the best use of what is in your power, and take the rest as it happens.

Last night I downloaded the new drivers for Nic/Video and Bios and all is well today.

Thanks

Terrel

I was able to download all the new Dell drivers and install them now all works just fine

Thanks

Terrel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back