Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

XP Home freeze on laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrCarter2001

Technical User
Feb 2, 2003
DE
I know this thread is for XP Pro but there's no option for XP Home and before I try upgrading to Pro I want to know if that will fix my problem. I have XP Home that came installed on my Compaq Presario 700 series laptop. I bought the computer about a year and a half ago. It has an S3 Twister graphics card, has a 900 MHz processor, 40G hard drive (which I periodically clean out to keep at least 1/4 free and periodically defrag), has a DVD/CD/CDRW drive built in, two USB ports. Periodically the entire system will freeze and cannot be restored...Even when waiting for over an hour it does not resume acivity, and the only way to reset is to disconnect the power supply and remove the battery. Some programs, such as Nero, filesharing programs, and DIVX seem to accelerate the likelihood of freezing, but it will occur apparently randomly as well. For example, sometimes just trying to copy files onto a backup drive, searching on Windows Explorer, or installing programs will also trigger the freeze. Nero worked to make one VCD, but then when I added the MPEG2 coder it causes the crash during the encoding process no matter if i attempt VCD or SVCD, and I can't seem to easily uninstall the coder. I have tried updating all my drivers, I installed the most recent patch for Nero, I've defragmented, I've cleaned up the hard drive....I've run out of ideas!!! Any suggestions?

Nero screwed my computer once, i just formatted the drive and never installed nero again. I haven't had the problem since.

-Growing Haze

Thanks, but this has been going on long before I installed Nero.

I get an occasional freeze in XP caused by an unsupported driver for my touch pad (older Acer laptop). Like you, my only option is to disconnect the power. However, they don't occur that often so I decided to live with it. Have you checked the event logs?

This will check out your RAM for errors.

Check if there is an update available for your Bios.
Enter your Bios and make sure it is using the Default settings.

Try running ChkDsk to check your drive for errors. Right click your Drive icon/ Properties/ Tools/ Error Checking.

Run the System File Checker program from the Run Box by typing.....Sfc /Scannow in it and have your XP CD handy.

HOW TO: Verify Unsigned Device Drivers in Windows XP

If they don't work you could try repairing windows itself by running it over itself. You will lose all your windows updates but your files will be untouched.

How to Perform an In-Place Upgrade (Reinstallation) of Windows XP (Q315341)

Did you try the System Restore? That's my favorite part of XP. It was designed specifically for the situation you're describing.

It's located in Accessories|System Tools|System Restore. If you haven't changed the settings, there should be a restore point from before you installed each of the programs you added.

TTFN

format the hdd and restart from scratch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back