Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

XP Home Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

abaddonb

MIS
Jul 25, 2002
US
I'm new to XP Home Edition and have a easy and stupid question to ask- How do I get a system with XP Home Edition to join a domain?? I went into Network Connections and did not see anything in there, and did a search and nothing came up. I'm starting to believe you can't with the Home Edition, but I'm sure I'm wrong.

Howdy:

Nope, you are right.. XP Home is unable to connect to a domain..

Domain membership - Home Edition cannot be used to logon to an Active Directory domain. For obvious reasons, the Domain Wizard is also missing in Home Edition.

Murray

Home edition is a downgrade from win98, 95 & me in terms of networking. -God Bless

Thanks guys for the responses.

Bill- you bastard!!!

You can try this from Lockergnome tips and see if it works or not.

Quote.....

3rd April 2002

Whether you're in the military or not, you should salute CptSiskoX for describing a (current) Windows XP loophole. "Normally, Windows XP Home Edition cannot join network domains, simply peer-to-peer workgroups. However, there is a fix which can solve the problem and allow WinXP Home Edition to join a domain. Microsoft wanted to cripple 'Home' so that it could not be used on domains, which would force many to upgrade to the more expensive Windows XP Professional simply to join a network domain. However, it is possible to get on a domain using the Home Edition. This can be accomplished with the free and widely-available Xteq X-Setup 6.1 by navigating to the 'Network \ Auto Login \ Windows NT/2K/XP \ Settings' option. Simply enter the appropriate information and click the 'Apply Changes' button. On next reboot, you can then join domains with Windows XP Home Edition. Problem solved." It was noted that the latest version of TweakUI could also do the trick, but seeing as Microsoft has temporarily suspended the download (to "fix" the oversight), X-Setup is a more viable, short and long- term option.

End Quote.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back