Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

XP Home Edition - VPN to WinNT/Netware - client missing

Status
Not open for further replies.

CWBarton

MIS
Nov 5, 2001
US
Ok, I'm I missing something or has M$ completely isolated WinXP Home Edition to only M$ networks. I cannot find the Microsoft Client for Netware Networks anywhere. I did find, on the M$ web site, a document listing that it was not in the Home Edition, but where is it?

I have clients that have installed DSL and/or cable modems and we have setup VPN connections to our hybrid network. (WinNT and Netware). No problem until they started buying new equipment or upgrading their OS to XP Home Edition.

Anyone else having this problem?

Winxp Home doesn't surport vpn - xp pro does,

Not true. I was able to setup the VPN connection and actually get connected.

What I couldn't do was find a Microsoft Client for NETWARE NETWORKS.

The client is in the XP Pro edition, and the M$ web site indicates that they did not put it in the home edition.

I would think that it would be available to download from somewhere though. Or some other work around should be available.

It seems logical to me that our "home users" are the ones who would want to use a VPN connection. And not just to a M$ network.

We were unable to find a netware client - but the problem was solved by ditching Novell. We migrated all our Netware servers to NT - so we're now completely M$ . . . the XP Home Edition (as well as the Pro edition) will allow you to establish a VPN connection and login to a Domain.

I haven't thought about this problem for the last 6 months so there may be a soultion out there that I'm not aware of.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back