Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

[XP Home Edition-Internet Connection Problem]

Status
Not open for further replies.

pintail

Technical User
Sep 18, 2001
US
I have a Plll computer at home running XP Home Edition on a wireless network. Recently, I had a problem staying conected to Yahoo so did a restore to latest working configuration. Now, the machine will boot up and run IF it is not connected to the Internet. If connected to the Internet, the machine starts to boot but goes into a constant reboot mode and XP will not load and run.

Any suggestions on what the problem might be and the fix? I am currently at work so can not walk through this at this time.

Thanks for any thoughts!

Have you checked the Event Viewer for any errors? Does turning off Automatic Restarts give you a Stop Error message that you can post?

How to install and use the Recovery Console in Windows XP

An easy to follow recovery console description when unable to start computer due to corrupt registry.

This is a layman's version of Q307545 in simple language.

Running ChkDsk /r from Recovery Console wouldn't hurt either.

Run the System File Checker program from the Run Box by typing.....Sfc /Scannow in it and have your XP CD handy.

310396 - Windows XP Logon Screen Does not Appear and the Computer Continuously Restarts

Black Startup Screen Is Briefly Displayed, Computer Restarts Repeatedly (Q314466)

HOW TO: Verify Unsigned Device Drivers in Windows XP

If they don't work you could try repairing windows by running it over itself. You will lose all your windows updates but your files will be untouched.

How to Perform an In-Place Upgrade (Reinstallation) of Windows XP (Q315341)

Thanks for the suggestions, I will try them when I get home this evening and let you know what happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back