Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

XP Home Ed. on a Windows 2000 network 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

denwood

IS-IT--Management
Mar 8, 2002
US
Can a user use XP Home edition to logon to a Windows 2000 network?

Our school will be implementing a mandatory laptop program for incoming students and it will be inevitable that some will have XP home instead of Pro. Will they be able to use the network? (ie Internet, Files, printers, etc)

If so, what (if any) configuration changes will need to take place?

I've been told the home edition of xp does not support networking. You need the pro version. (Hardcore w2k user, so I've never used xp, so I'm speaking based on second hand spoke.) [pacman] Glen A. Johnson
Microsoft Certified Professional
glen@nellsgiftbox.com
[americanflag]

"There is nothing like a dream to create the future."
Victor Hugo (1802-1885); French writer.

well...it's not that XP doesn't support networking, rather it doesn't support domain membership, only workgroup. so, the short answer is, they can use the internet, and they can connect to file shares and printers if given the necessary user credentials.

XP Home edition supports a peer to peer network. You can se an XP Home Edition up as a workgroup and run it in a domain as a workgroup member. Other than that there is nothing you can realluy do. XP Home has no domain support. James Collins
Field Service Engineer
A+, MCP

email: butchrecon@skyenet.net

Please let us (Tek-tips members) know if the solutions we provide are helpful to you. Not only do they help you but they may help others.

XP Home users will be able to:

Use the internet

Connect to printers that are shared by other machines or the easier way would be to share the printers out print server box. Either way you have to allow anon and guest users acccess to the printers.

Access file shares, but you will have to map them manualy.

I would suggest buying a few non-windows File and Print servers (check out the Netrunner or other linux based systems). These are cheap, have large storage ablility and allow anon. usage of all of their system...

XP Home can do all the things you want it too... it just takes some more work to setup your system.

Keystone offers some videos on XP Home edition and has advice on how to do the things you want, also searching Google.com should help.

I haven't worked with XP Home but I do know you can do everything you want to with it EXCEPT login to a domain.

Good luck!

according to Nortpark.edu you can do everything you want to above.

CJ
- Jr. Rocket Man

Would it be in my best interest to require the upgrade?

You will have to weigh the costs of the upgrade to the benifits it adds for your self. I suggest yes. However if you just want the Domain support then would it be worht it for that? Probebly not. James Collins
Field Service Engineer
A+, MCP

email: butchrecon@skyenet.net

Please let us (Tek-tips members) know if the solutions we provide are helpful to you. Not only do they help you but they may help others.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back