Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

XP Home can't see the network

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lorraineashcroft

Technical User
Mar 16, 2004
GB
Hi All

Can anyone help me please.

Have a xp home pc, this has a dlink network card in it, the IP address and subnet mask are what they should be, I have tried both DHCP and static IP addresses. The cat5 is ok as I have tried this in another machine. The network says it is connected and the network card is working ok. But.....I can't connect to the internet and can't ping any other pc on the network. The firwall on off, I have set the netowrk up twice and deleted the network card and started again.

Has anyone any ideas this is driving me nuts.

Thank you
Lorraine

Thanks for your reply bcastner

I have tried this, and it didn't work.

The PC is being assigned an IP address by dhcp, I can pint the server and the firewall, but can't access the internet. The firwall and server can't ping the PC. The pc is not logging onto a domain.

I am really confused now. This is not the only pc I have this type of proble on with xp home, I have the similar problem on another site. that is also xp home.

You know the PC is not logging onto a domain cause XP home can't right.
Anyhow , are there any routers / switches in the network that have any access lists configured ?
Since ur getting an address from the DHCP server it sounds like security restrictions somewhere on the network.

Yes I know xp home can't log onto the domain.

The pc goes through a firewall, they don't log onto a domain. The PC can ping the firewall, but the firewall can't ping the pc, even though it is the firewall that is the dhcp server. There is no internet restriction and there is no domain server.

There is no access lists configured anywhere on the network.

There is a 98 pc on the network and this has no problems at all with this PC. Both PC's are set up the same way, same workgroup both DHCP.

I honestly do not think the issue is that the OS is XP Home.

If we know:

. the network adapter is pulling from the DHCP server a suitable IP and subnet mask;

We know that the physical and logical connection to the LAN are fine, other than the possibility that the Tx and Rx lines are reversed in your drop cable connection. (If you made your own cables, what you describe would happen if the pinouts were reversed). You say the Win9x machine works fine from the same location. So lets agree to rule out your cable plant.

. If you do an ipconfig /all what appears as the Gateway address, and the DNS address(es) if any?

. For the software on the workstation, start IE, Tools, Internet Options, Connections tab, LAN settings, and uncheck everything in that submenu. Exit IE, restart IE and test again.

If you continue to have issues, please describe in a little more detail the appliance your refer to as the "firewall": is this a router appliance, or a hardware firewall appliance, or just ICS?

We can solve this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back