Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

XP Home and Remote Desktop

Status
Not open for further replies.

cookie101

IS-IT--Management
Mar 29, 2004
US
I know, I know, this forum is for XP Pro, but I can't find anything about XP Home.

Anyway, I have a PC we're using to do some testing but it's XP Home, not Pro. The PC we are using to remote desktop to it uses XP Pro.

However, XP Home seems to have a limitation when it comes to Remote Desktop. The program is available, but only seems to be able to remotely connect to another PC/user, and cannot use Remote Desktop to allow other users to remotely connect to it.

Is this true? Has anyone found anything contrary to this?

Garrett
CCNA

"The only knowledge you need is that which you do not have. Keeping what you have is the hard part.

my computer - system properties, is there a remote propetries tab at the top?

SET CRTL ALT DEL = #728
-----------------------
greg

The Home Edition does not include Remote Desktop connection capability...only the Pro version.

XP Home does not allow you to remote desktop into it however you can use Remote Assitance but it requires someone on the other end to accept the connection.

Another solution is to install VNC on the XP Home computer and then remote into it using the VNC client. This is equivalent to Remote desktop and is actually better since you can see what's happening on the computer you're controlling which remote desktop does not allow.

MSeng & aznluvsmc are both correct. XP Home comes with the RD client software (in fact any windows OS can use the client software), but XP Home can not be a RD host. Some of the third party tools like VNC work very well on XP Home.

Thanks guys. Never used VNC, but will take a look. Thanks for the tip MSeng & aznluvsmc & smah.

Garrett
CCNA

"The only knowledge you need is that which you do not have. Keeping what you have is the hard part.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back