Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

XP Home and Professional Difference 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 24, 2001
GB
Whats the major difference between XP Home and XP Professional?

Is one intended more for games and the other for Business? I've never used it before and someone asked me. They have XP Professional but don't want to upgrade from 98 incase its no good for their games.

Regards

XP Pro is designed to operate on network domains. So if you don't have a domain at home (which most people don't) then you only need XP Home. XP Home will work with workgroups so you can have it on your home network and share resources.

I work with XP Pro at work and I have XP Home for home use. Now... as far as the games go. I have not had any problems at all running games on XP Home. In fact I think they perform better then Win98 or ME.

Just make sure that XP can run on your system. I have seen some issues where XP was installed on an older computer and certain things would not work. I would check with your computer manufacture OR check each the support and driver sections for each peripheral in your computer to make sure they have XP driver support. OR you may be looking at upgrading. Check this site for further information.

Home and Pro are essentially the same, Pro just offers features for more advanced computing. If a game will run on home, it will run on pro or vice versa. Here are some of the major differences in Pro vs. Home:

- supports up to 2 processors
- allows remote desktop connection (terminal services)
- can use the Ecrypted file system
- geared for more advance network connectivity

If you want a more detailed list, you can get the info from the Windows Family Home at Microsoft's web site.
Morty

So does this mean his games will run fine as long as his computer is good enough? He's not bothered about all the networking stuff because he doesn't have the Home edition (only has Professional).

Heres the specs anyway:

Pentium III 450MHz
256MB RAM
64MB Nvidia Geforce 2 MX100/200
SoundBlaster Audigy
56k Modem
40GB Hard Disk
DVD
SCSI CD Writer

Do you get the option to uninstall it if you don't like it, and if so are there any dodgy effects?

Many thanks

It'll be more RAM hungry...could use more...especially a gamer.

Will all the games which are already installed be installed on XP?

Could be irritating having to put them all back in!

Thanks

Well... It means the OS will be compatable if the computer is good enough AND supported. It's not really about games. Games have their own requirements.

I never recomend installing or upgradeing an OS over the top of another OS. It's always best to install the OS from scratch. Based on the stats of your CPU I would assume that your computer is older (the motherboard). I know the Nvidia and Soundblaster Card will be fine they are newer and the drivers for XP are out on the manufactures websites. What kind of SCSI card do you have for the CD Writer? I would check that for new drivers.

The only thing I would be conserned with is your motherboard. Who made your computer or did you have it put together? You "might" have to upgrade your Motherboard and CPU (usually means RAM too). A 450Mhz process is getting close to minimum requirements for most newer games these days anyhow.

Before you upgrade I would take these steps.

- Check with the people who made your computer about your motherboard and check the 56k Modem and SCSI CS writer for XP drivers on the manufactures website.

- Backup all files you need on CD. Be through.

- Make a list of all programs on your computer and make sure you have media to reinstall them. Check for XP compatability (most software will be ok on XP)

- Download all Drivers for the devices on your computer For XP. (and Windows 98 for rollback) Then burn them on a CD.

- Make a boot disk that will start your CD device too.

- Check to see if your computer will boot from the XP CD in the drive. (if not you will have to use the boot disk OR make sure the option is available and ON in the BIOS)

Now for the OS install...

- Use Fdisk to wipe the partition. "WARNING!!!! at this point there is NO RETURN your data will be GONE"

- Place the XP CD/DVD in the drive and boot. Follow steps to install.

- After the installation check the device manager and update drivers as needed.

- Restore your files and programs

This will ensure a CLEAN OS and you will have less headache and problems down the road.

I know there are a lot of steps, but upgrading an OS is no easy task to do correctly and cleanly. XP is not compatable with some Windows 98 applications so you may encounter problems if you just upgrade over the top.

Oh one more thing... Since you own a Windows 98 CD all you need is XP upgrade. Not the full version. When you start installing Windows XP from scratch it will ask you to put the Windows 98 CD in for upgrade validation (this will not install 98). Then it will continue with the XP installed clean.

Its not my computer...its a friends. I'm familiar with all the stuff you listed but I don't think he is. He asked me about XP, but since I've only ever worked with 95 through to 2K, I needed to come here for some info.
I don't think he's bothered about clean installs because it'd mean reinstalling everything (which believe me is a lot).

Thanks a lot for the posts so I think I'll just go ahead and tell him to upgrade. Windows 98 crashes too often. I have it at home, and even with a good mix of hardware and latest drivers etc etc it still crashes too often for my liking. Maybe I'll upgrade to XP also...

Regards

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back