Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

XP Home and Domains

Status
Not open for further replies.

colinbretagne

IS-IT--Management
Mar 25, 2002
GB
I have a laptop with XP home edition. I take this machine to work but there is no option to make it a member of the domain I am working on. Microsoft say it is a feature not available in XP Home edition. does anyone have a solution?
Thanks in advance.

As far as I know there aren't any solutions to this, except upgrading. I haven't heard of any hacks.
[smurf]

I've shared folders and files from Win 2000 server (domain) to an XP pro machine (Workgroup) as long as a dhcp server or router has assigned ip's you should be able to manually enter network folders ex.(\\computer\folder) in network connections) try that it worked on my network, or upgrade to Pro.

Tom Caldwell
NexusSoft Consulting

Colin,

Here's a way to do it that I posted before....

If all you want to do is allow an XP Home user access to shared files and folders on the network, you can trick the XP Home computer into giving you access.

Open the My Computer object, click the Tools menu, and then click Map Network Drive.
Select a folder on your network by clicking on the Browse button.
After selecting the folder, click on the different user name link on the page.
In the Connect As dialog box, for user name enter domainxxx\user (where domainxxx is the domain you want to connect to). Enter your domain user password and then click OK.
Check the Reconnect at login box and press Finish.
When you boot up in the morning, go to My Computer and double click on the networked drive. This causes XP to send the credentials to the Domain and opens the drive.
Now you will be able to access files and folders throughout the domain without having to reenter network credentials (user name and password).
Taken from www.winxpnews.com

Scotsdude[bravo]
Sanity is my ultimate goal, and its slipping further away....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back