Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

XP HE to Win98SE password question

Status
Not open for further replies.

dleigh

Technical User
Feb 3, 2001
FR
I have a big ol' 2-computer network going here!

I have a desktop box running Win98SE and a laptop running XP HE and a cross-over cable running between the two. I ran the network setup wizard on the XP box and ran the setup wizard via the created disk on the 98 box.

The two connect seamlessly and I can see the shares of the 98 box on the XP box.

...but...

When I select the share on the XP box from the 98 box, I get the ENTER NETWORK PASSWORD dialog box for the resource:

\\LEIGHHPLAPTOP\IPC$

IPC is a 16MB FAT partition that I can't get to. It was there when I got my machine. I'm guessing that you all know what it is but a newbie like me doesn't.

At any rate, I don't have the slightest idea what the password would be. Even if I pick the C drive with its proper share name that I set up, I get an enter password dialog box for which I have no password (a blank password doesn't work either). I don't use passwords on my accounts in XP HE.

I do NOT have the guest account turned on. This is a closed network just here in the home and, ideally, I'd like to be able to have full access between the computers, but right now it looks like the XP box can access the 98 box just fine, but not the other way around.

So, for this newbie, please toss your suggestions and probing questions my way!

Thanks!

Try logging onto the 98 pc w/ the same logon you use for the xp box.

I have been struggeling with this too.
However you either need to define the guest user on XP or
specify a user in 98SE (with a password) and create that user with the same password in XP.
Hope this helps ....

Thanks for the tips...
Can you make the users without passwords? I don't mind signing in (too much) but I'd like to refrain from passwords here at home.
Thanks...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back