Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

xp hard drive cloning

Status
Not open for further replies.

sengstrommn

IS-IT--Management
May 29, 2002
US
the hard drive in an xp pc is dying. whats the best product/procedure to clone this drive and replace it with a new drive without having to reload everything.

I would suggest Norton Gohst 2001/2002 to clone the data to a new drive. You may have to re-activate the OS with Microsoft, if the new drives parameters are different than the original drive. I have done this once and not had any problems.

Ghost 2002 (home license) or Ghost 7.5 (business license) are fully compatible with XP and the new ATA hard drives.
We have been using ghost for several years now, and it is a solid app.

As far as a hard drive failing, Ghost has options to do an image of a drive and continue even thought it has bad sectors. But, I've seen ghost fail to backup a drive that was bad. You might want to copy what file you can manually, then try a ghost image after.

The manufacturer of your new drive will probably have a (free) utility to do this - visit their website (eg, Maxblast for Maxtor drives).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back