Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

XP hangs on login for certain user

Status
Not open for further replies.

tigristiger

Programmer
Sep 5, 2002
US

Hi there. I've used XP successfully for about 6 months now, but when I tried to login with my normal user acct a few days ago, the system just froze at the "Loading your personal settings" stage. I rebooted, logged on as administrator with no problems, and tinkered a little bit but with no success. The problem still persists, and I even let it hang all night long, thinking it was just a Very slow login problem. Any ideas??
Thanks in advance.

Hi Tigristiger,

Have you installed any software for the user before tht problem accoured?

Because if you have and the software hasnt been configured completely then it might be the "configure" process that crashes your computer.
If you succeed then help others :D

ken Christensen
Kenman@Kenman.tk

Hi Ken,

I hadn't installed any software for this user, but the power did go off while this user was active. I was thinking perhaps this caused a corrupt registry entry for this user or something, but I've not been able to find anything to confirm that. I also haven't seen anything in logs, but I'm not an experienced sysadmin--this is just my personal comp. Can the admin account run anything to help trace this problem??

Thanks,

Brian

"Well, as the tree said to the lumberjack, I'm stumped"
-Ned Flanders, Simpsons

Sounds like the user profile is corrupt. Delete the user, re-boot and re-create it (You supposedly don't need to re-boot, but I don't trust Micro$oft that much!). This should help.

Hi Tigristiger,

I dont know if Windows XP makes any logs
(i dont have it ínstalled anymore..)..
But sounds like a corrupt user (just like RSA says.)
Logon with your admin account, take copies of all files etc in document folder etc for this user and create a new one. If you succeed then help others :D

ken Christensen
Kenman@Kenman.tk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back