Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

XP Halts After Login

Status
Not open for further replies.

nitrous75

Technical User
May 13, 2002
US
I've recently upgraded to Windows XP from Windows 2k Pro. When the login screen appears. I get an "unable to load symevent" error. I can close this and continue, to login. After you login, windows xp logo and "loading your personalized settings" comes up on the screen, and after it loads for a second, halts. I have created a new admin user, and deleted the old one to see if this changed anything, but no luck. Windows will start in safe mode, but I am not sure what I have to change. I have reinstalled several times, and I have no hardware compatibility issues. Please advise... :)

The symevent error is related to your norton product. Your anti-virus that ran OK on W2K is not compatible with XP. If I remember correctly you can get an updated file from symantec otherwise you need to get norton anti-virus 2002.

Ok I will try to remove symantec when I get home. That should get rid of the error message, but not sure if that is the cause for the win xp halt.

Un-install of old symantec, got rid of error, and lets windows start correctly. Thanks futuretech.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back