Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

XP freezes randomly, have to keep re-booting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Longobordo

Technical User
Dec 22, 2004
GB
New computer, AMD Athlon 3200XP+, 1GB RAM, 160GB SATA 7200rpm, K7VT6 Asrock Mobo. Win XP pro 2002 and SP2.

System just seems to hang at random, no set pattern. First indication is that mouse just freezes, only procedural solution is a re-boot.

I have several Loadperf 'red crosses' in my Application Event Viewer (WmiApRpl failed)But I'm afraid this doesn't mean much to me. Any ideas please?

If the system is from a major supplier(Dell, Gateway, etc.), then let them fix the problem under warranty.

If it's a custom build, then make sure nothing is overclocked, only Default settings are used in BIOS, all connections are secure and correct, all cards and RAM are fully seated(reseat them to make sure), and nothing is overheating.

If ok, then check the MB for leaking, bulging, or ruptured capacitors.

If ok, then run Memtest86 to check the RAM.

Also, update your AV program and do a virus check, and run Ad-aware, Spybot, and CWShredder to remove any malware.

Also, update your AV program and do a virus check, and run Ad-aware, Spybot, and CWShredder to remove any malware.

Sorry about the multiple posts. My connection got the hiccups.

Check memory. That's what was causing one of my machines to exibit those symptoms.

Thanks for your help guys, The system is free of malaware and virus. I will pull the machine apart in the next couple of days.

When the system is on 'tickover' chip temp is about 51c and Mobo is around 31c, it has not been overclocked. (2.2Ghz)

How do I run Memtest86 meanwhile?

Anybody know what the'Loadperf' red crosses in my initial post relate to?

I've managed to check the internals, re-seated and blown out any dust that may (or may not) have been in the memory card slots. Operated the system with the sides removed in case it was a heat related problem. It is not overclocked and the BIOS has been untouched since I took delivery.

I've run the microsoft memory check as recommended above and whilst no errors were reported I left it to run overnight and the computer froze while conducting its second pass of eleven tests and I had to re-boot it when I awoke.

Does this jump out at anyone?

Oh, and just in case anyone is in any doubt, the problem persists.

I still agree memory is the most likely culprit, is it possible for you to loan a replacement.
As a matter of interest what does your CPU temp rise to? go straight into the bios to look at the hardware monitor after a period of benchmarking or stress testing.
Martin

We like members to GIVE and not just TAKE.
Participate and help others.

Whilst you may well be correct about the problems being due to memory, The test did not indicate as much.

On a different tac, I went into the BIOS and slowed the cpu down to 166 and the system has been rock-solid. Granted it may yet be a cooling problem but even running the machine with the sides off the case previously made no difference to the problem.

In view of this would this indicate a problem with the CPU itself?

Forgot to add, Temperature at this new 166MHZ Actual Freq setting is: 57c/134f for CPU
44c/111f for Mobo

If those are the temps when you're doing routine stuff, like browsing the Internet, and the system is not being stressed, like playing an intense game, then they're too high.
And they're most likely higher when the FSB is running faster than 166 MHz, which may be causing the freezing problem.

Remove the computer's cover, and run an external fan.
If that cool things down to 50-55 C for the CPU, and 30-40 C for the system, then you need to install additional case fans.
If the system cools down,but the CPU stays hot, then you need to install a more powerful CPU cooler. Also, suggest applying Arctic Silver thermal compound if that has not already been done.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back