Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

XP freezes on saving your settings on shutdown

Status
Not open for further replies.

redeux

Technical User
May 26, 2003
US
ok , i already know that the spyware dropped by websites is the cause...spybot and AA-6 dont catch everything... getting very po'd... almost evry time i shutdown today it froze...you can tell its going to do it by the screen patterns on shutdown , but if you stop it,it just ties everything up...so you you wait til it freezes on saving your settings then do a hard shutdown and restart , run SB and AA6 then it will function normally ..today i had freeze ups even after clearing... any ideas ? this has been going on since 11-01...

linney thank you ... i will not run any updates from those pos's at microsnot for any reason ...sp1 has wrecked a whole bunch of systems due to MS's poor design...is there a way to disable the IME in the welcome screen ? ... sp is a mess , but i am stuck with it for now...can't afford to buy a mac so i've suffered thru 18 months of constant problems ...which only got WORSE with every patch/update that MS provided...

ok , no change in any problems or solutions , someone suggested zone alarm pro ? which supposedly prevents info from being sent to the spywares receiver...anyone know if this really works or is it just hype ? ... the freezing doesn't happen unless the spyware is in place...R

Are you surfing as a limited user or Administrator? Using a limited user would be advisable. To help you further with the security side of things, this fellow knows his subject.

While at his site don't get bogged down in the encryption pages, use the links across the top of the page to surf his site for any information that is useful to you.

You also might like to use this next site to post safe surfing and security type questions. You may have to register (free) to use it. It is a wealth of knowledge about spyware, virus infection and security matters.

May I also recommend this site for great (not free) security software with outstanding customer support and service.

As much as I loved Zone Alarm Pro, it really works great, however, installing software the requires the internet become trickey at times, their service, True Vector, will sometimes make surfing the net next to impossible if you have a membership at any website, as well many programs won't work with True Vector (Zone Alarms Engine?) such as Opera and Mozilla. (If you install while True Vector running). Check out your services under msconfig (if you don't know, click start, run then type msconfig) if you have Zone Alarm and experienced troubles on the net.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back