Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

XP Freezes after boot up

Status
Not open for further replies.

TFK

IS-IT--Management
Dec 9, 2003
US
Ok, here's what's happening. I have an HP Pavillion a228N with an AMD XP2600+ running XP SP2. I start the computer up, XP starts, and as the programs start to load, it freezes up, and the only thing I can do is reboot by pressing the power button. Can't move the mouse and C-A-D doesn't work.

I can get into safe mode and unchecked everything in msconfig. No good. I disabled the video card. No good. I can get on the internet in safe mode with networking, so I don't think it's anything related to my internet access. I already replaced the Ram. I ran one of those Dos based PC Checking programs and it found no errors.

Any advice other than wiping out the whole thing and starting from scratch?

TFK

I don't think it's anything spyware/malware/virus related. I ran full scans with Adaware and Symantic Anti-Virus and found nothing.

I am not all that empressed with Symantic Anti-Virus and I don't use Adaware because of the fact that they allow some adware because of the fear of lawsuits.
I find using 4-6 different scanners...especially ones that boot from a separate disk (floppy or cd)seem to work.

boot to safe mode go to msconfig and disable all then reboot and see if it boots in normal mode...if it does then msconfig and enable one at a time in the startup and reboot till you find what is crashing on boot

Have you tried System Restore from Safe Mode.

You can check your Event Viewer, there might be some errors in there which may give a clue.

Also from Safe Mode try running ChkDsk, right click your Drive icon/ Properties/ Tools/ Error Checking.

If they don't work you could try repairing windows by running it over itself. You will lose all your windows updates but your files will be untouched.

How to Perform an In-Place Upgrade (Reinstallation) of Windows XP (Q315341)

Nothing in event viewer. Chkdsk didn't show anything either. I really don't want to have to do a re-install and have to start from scratch again. Any other advice?

TFK

See if the System File Checker will run from Safe Mode.

Run the System File Checker program from the Run Box by typing.....Sfc /Scannow in it and have your XP CD handy.

As you can load Safe Mode but can't isolate the problem in MsConfig, that suggests there may be an unsigned driver problem.

HOW TO: Verify Unsigned Device Drivers in Windows XP

Doing a repair install is well short of starting from scratch, the only things you have to re-install are your Windows Updates. Files and installed programs are carried over.

xp freeze troubleshooting
thread779-935320

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back