Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

XP Embedded Font trouble

Status
Not open for further replies.

ahoodin7

Programmer
Jun 16, 2004
US
I need the Arial font in Windows XPe to show the same way as they do in XP Pro.

As you all know, windows is a FontMetric system. Nine times out of ten if you create a dialog with static a resource file, it resizes a bit based on the font and the fontsize. Now I am moving an old application from XP Pro to XP Embedded. Everything appeared to be hunky dory until I took a closer look . Arial Font on my XPe is not the same as my Arial Font on my XP Pro, and my dialogs are different on XPe than XP Pro. Would somebody please shed some light on this issue?

TIA,

Surely you knew that it's abnormal situation? Fonts visual characteristics are not a part of OS specifications. The same font looks different on 600x800 or 1024x768 etc. There are tons of API calls to set a proper font characteristics on generic font attributes basis but I never heard that it's possible to get 100% hit. Let's remember: Arial is a name of a font family, not the font name...

Perhaps the underlying problem is a display driver issue....?

>Arial is a name of a font family, not the font name...

However Arial is still a True Type Font, and I installed the exact same .ttf file on the XPe target. (XPe is based on the same binaries as XP Pro.)

Since Windows XP Embedded is the componentized version of Microsoft Windows XP Professional I would hope there would be *some* standardization on *some* level.

FYI The display settings are 800x600 for both platforms.

I checked the driver, and both are S3 Twister, however the version and dates are different. Not sure if this is it.

XP Pro box:
S3 Graphics Twister + S3 Hotkey
Driver Date 5/13/2002
V6.13.10.1070

S3 Graphics Twister
11/7/2002
V6.13.10.1100

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back