Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

XP drops apps rather than print!!! PLEASE HELP!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

askIllustrator

Technical User
Apr 20, 2001
DE
I have been using to PCMACLAN for over a year now to print to my old postscript2 appletalk printer. Now, all of a sudden, (I changed or installed nothing!) Adobe Illustrator just drops off the screen when it gets to the progress bar. I've checked and reinstalled everything except for the OS and now it's a total crap shoot, sometimes it will print, most of the time it wont. I tested other apps and found that IE5 does it too. Any assistance here would be greatly appreciated since I have some pissed off clients right now. Also, I made the big switch to XP because I heard it has appletalk built in, so why, after I install the protocall, does it do nothing of the sort? I suspect MACLAN is part of my problem and would really rather just use XP's printing capabilities. I just dont understand how Macintosh computers just sorta 'work' yet its Microsoft, where nothing does what it says it does, has all the market share. Sorry to vent, Im just so frickin tired of solving 'nifty little microsoft puzzles' instead of actually getting work done. BEHOLD! As Steve Jobs introduces us the latest in desk-lamp technology!

Hey! XP does not have appletalk included, as a matter of fact there is a Mircosoft article which states that the protocol is not supported anymore by Windows. To print on appletalk printers you have to install PcMaclan. I've been using version 8.1 on win 2000, but on XP it doesn't work the same way (problems with sharing the printer). By the way, do you use a single shared maclan or do you have installed maclan on each computer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back