Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

XP dropping off Domain

Status
Not open for further replies.

scquan

Vendor
Jul 22, 2003
GB
Hi,

I seem to have come across a weird bug? in XP
When XP is joined to a AD domain it appears to lose its connection to the domain after 3-4 hours i.e. it can no longer access any part of the domain and acts as if it is part of a workgroup.

When this occurs the PC can still ping the domain server and IpConfig still shows that the domain is there. The XP PC's can still see all the computers on the network but cannot access any shared folders on the server or any printers etc that have been shared on the domain.

The configuration is as follows:
One server running Windows 2000 server. The server and PC's are configured to use an external proxy for the internet using external DNS servers.
DHCP is enabled with scopes set for issuing DNS, DHCP and gateways etc.

I have tried using DHCP and static IP's with manual settings the result is still the same.

I have never experienced this with 2000 Pro any body got any ideas?

Steve Chambers.

This is very symptomatic of a DNS issue with XP. See a longer note on this issue, and XP vs. 2000 differences in this thread:

thread779-540080 is no question that if your DNS entries point to an external proxy rather than the Win2k server you will have issues with XP as a client under your Win2k Domain.

Also, this DNS issue makes XP more likely to exhibit a problem with the default inactivity timer on Win2k shares. The DNS cache for XP only holds a resolved entry for about 7 minutes. In addition to improving XP's DNS resolution as suggested above, you might increase the autodisconnect setting on the Win2k server. A decimal setting of -1 might be required:

mmm...

I had the configuration right in everything other than the ISP's address was set as the secondary DNS. I was not aware that this was a no go.

I will try this out immediately.

Thanks a bucnch for your help....

Steve Chambers

I'm having a similar problem on an NT4 network. I have several XP stations, & one began giving me trouble yesterday. It logs on w/o complaint, it will access the web via a T1 on the server, and it will list the stations on the network. But only some of the server's shared folders display, and none of the files in them appear in the folders. Periodically, the files will reappear (I can sit there and watch the folder suddenly fill up) and then the server will become completely inaccessible. Exchange runs on this same server, and of course, Outlook can't connect when the server fades out.

The user reports that she uninstalled MSN Messenger just before this problem arose. I don't know if that would've impacted it.

Re NT4 network prob.
I have had a similar prob in the past. It turned out to be a hardware problem in that the port that the computer was connected to on the hub was failing. After moving it to another port the problem disappeared, its certainly worth a try!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back